xxxi. can we talk?

(   XXXI

(   XXXI. CAN WE TALK?   )

     AMELIE WAS NOT READY FOR THE PSATs.

     That much was clear considering she had spent the day before in the hospital getting rid of Matthew— which she succeeded in doing. The feeling of accomplishment spread through the girl like honey, oozing pridefully. Relief would hit her the next time she walked into that hospital and she wouldn't be scared for her life, just at peace.

     "Where's Lydia?" Kira asked them as they stood in line to enter the class where they would take the exam that determined their future. Amelie's nude shadowed eyelids covered her eyes slowly, trying to blink away the tiredness of staying up late studying.

     "She took it her freshman year," replied the Anchor as she leaned on the wall of lockers behind her. "Does that mean I could have taken it some other time?" Malia asked with a scowl.

     "Malia, you studied harder for this than any of us," Scott said comfortingly, placing his hand on her shoulder. "Doesn't mean I'm gonna do good," Malia retorted.

     "Well," Stiles corrected.

     "Well, what?"

     "It's "do well," not "do good," Stiles elaborated.

     "Oh, God!"

     "Okay, okay! We're doing this, because while we're trying not to die, we still need to live," Scott encouraged, looking around the pack who gave him questionable looks. "If I survive high school, I'd like to go to college. A good college."

     "You guys are so dramatic," Amelie rolled her eyes. "It's only three hours. We can survive three hours."

     She hoped.

🥰

     "Cell phone in the envelope, Amelie," Natalie Martin gestured to the envelope in her hands.  "You'll get it back after the test." Reluctantly, Amelie placed her phone inside and took a seat behind Scott, groaning internally when she realized she was next to Stiles as well. The boy glanced at her then back to the sheet on his desk— then back at her again, a double take.

     Clearing her throat awkwardly, she brought out her pencil from her bag and tried to keep her eyes glued to the exam paper in front of her. "Please do not open the test booklet until you are instructed to do so. This test is two hours and ten minutes. There will be two twenty-five-minute critical reading sections, two twenty-five-minute math sections, and an essay writing portion that will last thirty minutes," The invigilator explained.

     "There are supposed to be two teachers monitoring this exam?" He asked Lydia's mother who smiled sheepishly, "I know. It's Coach. He's not exactly punctual. Um, let me just try him again—"