10

It's been a month, and the Count is already back. He, at first, questioned Lucas but the magician placed him under a spell that would not question Lucas's intentions in staying at the estate.

The moment the Count got home, the first thing that Penelope made sure that he would see, is her mother's huge portrait hung in the wall at the top of the stairs. Penelope watched as the Count flinched hard and sweat bullets the moment he saw the portrait.

"What is that portrait doing there?!" The Count asked angrily.

"Didn't I tell you to get rid of anything that will remind me of my wife?!" He added.

"A-Ah but S-Sire, it w-was L-Lady P-Penelope w-who a-asked us to p-put it t-there." One of the butlers replied with a stuttering voice.

"Penelope did?! No matter, take it down this instant!" The Count demanded.

In the end, the portrait got taken down, but it had served it's purpose in causing the Count to have a minor heart attack. From what Butler Hans said, the Count was too tired from his travels that he just would like to rest.

But Penelope knows, that upon seeing her Mother's portrait, the Count got reminded of his crime.

'I wonder how long would it take for him to go crazy?' Penelope mused.

[I say, not long, Host.]

Penelope was interrupted from her mental conversation with Tongtong when Keira knocked on her door.

"My Lady? I came here to prepare you for your audience with the Emperor." Keira said, opening the door gently and stepping inside.

'Audience with the Emperor?'

"An audience with the Emperor? Why am I not informed earlier, Keira?" Penelope asked, confusion lacing her tone.

"You didn't know, My Lady?" Keira asked, surprised.

"No. What's this about?" Penelope asks again, a little suspicious.

"Let me dress you first, My Lady. Then I'll answer every questions." Keira said.

Penelope nodded her head hesitantly but allowed Keira to dress her up.

Once everything is done, Keira took a step back to marvel at her work. Penelope stared at her reflection in the mirror and saw that Keira didn't put heavy make-up on her and just opted for light powdering and a lip gloss.

"You look very beautiful, My Lady!" Keira complimented, smiling widely.

Penelope smiled as well before turning to Keira, "So what's this about?"

"Well. The Count has received a letter from His Majesty, saying that the Emperor wishes to betroth you to the second Prince." Keira replied, making Penelope shocked.

'So this is about the engagement, huh. Too bad, I don't wish to marry him.'

"Is there any way for me to back out from this?" Penelope muttered to herself, as she stood from her sitting position and straightened her dress.

For this event, Penelope picked a royal blue brocade dress with puff sleeves and a flowy bottom, and paired it with a velvet collar with a sapphire pendant.

"I believe that you should ask the Count, My Lady." Keira replied, bowing at her.

Penelope sighed before turning away and marching towards the Count's study, a wooden fan with a royal blue tassel in her hand.

"Father. What's this engagement that I heard from Keira?" Penelope asked immediately, the moment she got inside the room.

The Count turned towards her and smirked, "Ah! You've heard of it already. Congratulations, my daughter, you're engaged with the second Prince. Isn't that good news?" The Count exclaimed.