18

———

One whole year. Penelope has been missing for a whole year without a single trace found. Rosalia has taken on her older sister's duties for the meantime, not a single day went past that Rosalia won't ask for an update regarding her sister.

For Anastacius, there's a lot that happened in one whole year. First, Penelope has gone missing. Second, He got pulled by some nobles to usurp his Father. Third, he and his brother staged a coup.

The coup happened three months ago, on the month of January. And Anastacius is doing his best with the help of his brother to try and bring back the former glory of the Obelian Empire. He never had an official coronation, he just went and signed multiple papers and had the crown placed on his head.

Anastacius doesn't know why, but on the day his Father laid dying by his sword, the former Emperor just smiled. As if he was hiding something precious that Anastacius can never find out.

'Penelope.'

Anastacius sighed before bringing up a hand to ruffle his hair, the door to his study opened revealing Felix.

"Felix? Do you need something?" Anastacius asked, placing down his pen.

"Lucas, the Magician, came back. He's looking for Penelope." Felix said, eyes hesitant.

"But why would he look for Penelope here?" Anastacius asked in confusion.

"I'm guessing Diana hasn't told him yet." Felix replied, Anastacius sighed before standing up and walking towards the door.

"Where is he now?"

"At the garden, he's with Diana and Prince Claude. Lady Diana is trying to mediate between the two of them." Felix replied, walking closely behind the Emperor.

'No one can contain the magician. Only Penelope can.' Anastacius thought, feeling a headache coming.

Anastacius rounded another hallway before reaching the Imperial Garden. From his distance, he can clearly see Diana pushing Claude away from the smug magician.

Anastacius sighed for the nth time before clearing his throat to get their attention.

"Sir Lucas, what brings you here?" Anastacius asked.

"I just got back from my errand. And Mom's not in the manor, I figured she would be here. Where's she?" Lucas asked, crossing his arm with a frown on his face.

"She's not here." Claude replied irritatedly.

"I'm not talking to you royal blondie, I'm talking to the Emperor here." Lucas replied, glaring at the Prince.

"Sir Lucas, Penelope is gone." Anastacius said abruptly, too abrupt that he failed to notice Lucas's eyes turning cold.

"What do you mean by gone?" The magician asked, his voice lower than before.

Diana would never deny that she felt frightened upon hearing his voice.

"She's been missing for a year. No one caught a glimpse of her yet." Felix replied this time, growing wary of the tension surfacing from the mage.

"And no one bothered to tell me anything?!" Lucas exclaimed.

"That's it. I'm fucking burning the whole of this empire down." Lucas said dangerously, static forming around his body as his mana started to grow.

"Calm down, Magician." Anastacius said firmly, but said magician only turned and cocked a brow at him.

"Or else what? You'll stop me? Try if you can." Lucas said.