Side Story 01

Penelope looked at her 11-month-old daughter, who was playing on the floor. Beside her, Lucas, the man-child, sprawled out. She then turned her eyes to her husband, who was concentrating on his work. Other than working on papers about trade routes and agreements, they were also preparing for their only daughter’s first birthday.

“Look at your Mom being whipped,” Penelope heard Lucas mumble. She turned her eyes to them again and saw the magician poking at Jennette’s belly.

Jennette’s giggles filled the room, making Anastacius look up from his work. A smile full of adoration and love adorned his face upon hearing the giggles of his darling daughter.

“Bb...” Jennette babbled, reaching for Lucas’s finger.

Penelope paused whatever she was doing and stared at the scene.

“Is our daughter going to say her first words?”

Lucas also paused his finger mid-air and stared at the tiny child.

“Bb... Bba.. B.. Bean!” Jennette exclaimed, clapping her hands and giggling loudly.

Penelope’s mouth opened in shock.

“Did she just say bean?” Anastacius asked incredulously.

“She just did,” Penelope replied.

Lucas then cackled loudly, startling Jennette. But the baby soon followed and laughed as well.

“Her first word is bean! Not even Mama and Papa!” Lucas exclaimed, clutching his stomach as cackles escaped his mouth.

“This is why I told you not to call her that!” Penelope scolded, though there was no bite to her words.

“But she really does resemble a bean!” Lucas huffed, wiping away the tears from his endless laughter.

“Just be thankful it wasn't 'burrito' or something like that, my Love,” Anastacius said, chuckling softly.

Penelope watched as her husband stood up and took Jennette into his arms.

“Should we commemorate this day? Our daughter said her first words after all,” Anastacius said, kissing Jennette’s forehead.

“You’re speaking nonsense,” Penelope replied, standing up as well. She then crouched and slapped Lucas’s shoulder.

“Stand up from there, Luc. Your tunic will get dirty,” Penelope said, rising to her feet.

“Pfft.”

“Months of carrying her in my tummy and her first words are not even 'Mama',” Penelope said, staring at Jennette lovingly.

Jennette stared at her with jeweled eyes before hiding her face in Anastacius’s neck.

“That little bean is turning into a Papa’s girl,” Lucas said, now lying on the sofa.

“She has always been a Papa’s girl,” Anastacius said, winking at Penelope.

“Then Lucas is a Mama’s boy,” Penelope said, smirking at Lucas.

“I am older than you!” Lucas exclaimed.

“And yet you act like a child,” Penelope huffed, sticking her tongue out at him.

“Well, I’m a man-child after all,” Lucas replied, popping a macaron into his mouth.