Chapter 8: The Dreamyard

"I can't believe it!" cried Harper. They were hanging out in the Pokémon centre waiting for Harper's Pokémon to be healed. She was sopping her heart out over her defeat. Of all the time she had ever trained, this was the first time she has had such a devastating and overwhelming defeat. Not only did she feel shock, she also felt demoralizingly depressed. "This has to be worst thing to have ever happened to me."

"Are you alright?" asked Brandon supportively. He sat besides her. He places his arm around her to comfort her. They were quite good friends by now.

"Do I look alright?" she spattered out, gleaming at them as if demon-possessed. "I hate myself at the moment. Gosh, why does this hurt so bad?"

"Please don't do something stupid?" asked Brandon.

"I'm not that reckless if that's what you're implying," she snapped briefly, before realising just how nasty she sounded. "But I do feel hurt inside. It burns to my very core! I must carry on though, since it would make me look like some fool if I came back to my hometown not only defeated but as a coward that ran away. I'm never letting that happen again!"

"Hey," said Pedro, walking into the centre. "There is some stuff going on near the Dreamyard sometime tonight. I think we should go there and see what is going on."

"Sure," said Harper, even though she wasn't all that happy about going anywhere. All she wanted to do was hide away in shame! "I'm going to sleep for a bit. Wake me up when it's time to do whatever you want us to do."

"Of course," Brandon said. "We will look around town while you sleep. We will make sure to wake you up when it's time to go to the Dreamyard."

Brandon and Pedro left, leaving Harper to ponder about the battle she had just fought. What did she do wrong? And then hit her – not literally but metaphorically – that she had the wrong Pokémon. Tepig was a fire-type Pokémon so it was obvious she would be defeated if she went against a water-type Pokémon. That was so stupid of her for doing that. She remembered being told the best way to defeat an aquatic Pokémon is to use a grass-type Pokémon. She couldn't think of where to get one, however. The nearest place to get one was a mile or so away. She could borrow Brandon's Bulbasaur but that is against the official Pokemon rules. She knew the rules very well. Every trainer to had to use their own Pokémon – borrowing was against the rule. All she knew was that she was going to have to train harder. She might have to stay in Striaton City for a while to make sure her Tepig is strong enough to go against the gym leader's Panpour again. The thought of being defeated again shuttered her. There wasn't any other way she would lose again; she was going to make sure of that.

"I have to win," she reassured herself. "I just know it!"

She looked around before deciding it was about time she went to sleep. Sleep came quickly for her, but weirdly she didn't dream of anything. She woke up as fast as she went asleep. She looks around and noticed that it was dark. Neither Brandon nor Pedro has returned so she walks about the centre keeping herself amused. Brandon and Pedro came in suddenly after a while.

"Looks like we didn't have to wake you up after all," Pedro said jokingly. "Now let's go, or else we'll miss what is going on at the Dreamyard."

They rushed to the Dreamyard as fast as they could, like a cheetah chasing its prey, or a horse galloping towards the finish line. They came to the outside court of the Dreamyard. There was a small patch of grass in front of a wall. Bush covered it but from inside Harper could see an old wrecked building that had been left to become derelict. On closer inspection, it seemed like the building was intentionally destroy, although partially.

"Some explosion I was told," said an old man. He had a long white beard that came to his chest and he wore a purple dress thing that had a green N written on the front. He also worse half-moon spectacles. "This is what happens when you force Pokémon to fight. We all suffer! Beware of the reactions that happen if you keep your wicked ways. The Pokémon will wake from their dreams soon enough and realize they have been controlled all along." With the comment the old man disappeared into smoke. No one was sure where exactly he went, or how he pulled off such a trick.