Chapter 18: Challenge of the Dance Group

Meanwhile, Brandon was trekking through the street of Castelia Street – the main street of Castelia city, since it shares the same name – and was trying to avoid the people walking toward him and from behind. It was very busy and buzzy for Brandon – he had never seen as many possible people before. It was annoying that they kept knocking into him – it was his fault though since he had such a massive backpack that got in the way – but the feeling of being in such a big city was simply amazing. He had the same feeling that Harper had when she first saw the city.

Suddenly some dancer bumped into him. The guy was wearing a green top and he had dreadlocks. He had a lime hoodie tied around his waist. He also wore white track pants. He spoke with a Californian accent. It was obvious that he wasn't from around here.

"Hey bro," the guy said. "You seem like you're up for a challenge. My bros and I are doing a little contest. We're dancers by trade, but we're totally into battling. Come to the Central to see if you can win an award."

"Come again?" said Brandon. He was still unsure if the man was talking to him.

"Just come to the Central Plaza. My bros and I will see if you're the real deal," the man responded. "If you can be us in a battle, you'll get a reward."

"Sure," said Brandon.

And with that, the dancer danced off down the street, somehow not getting in the way of the oncoming traffic of people walking down the street. "Wow - I wonder how he can break moves like that?"

Although Brandon was planning to go up one of the many tall towers, he decided instead to battle that trainer that he had just met. He was never much of a dancer – he had dyspraxia – so he hoped that the dancer could teach him how to do a few moves after their battle. He wondered what the reward was going to be - a dancing lesson or even a lesson for his Pokémon to learn to dance. That would get the ladies' attention, he thought. Not many people were attracted to Brandon. It might be because he was a little bit geeky and a nerd at times. And he had freckles, which could put people off as well.

He walked down the street towards the Central Plaza. The Central Plaza was at the end of the road, in the centre of the city, before the final road that led into the desert. He was very confident that he could win this. He had won battles before, including against Pedro – even though Pedro was a better Pokémon trainer – and he had won a few other battles. Even when he lost a few times he was able to get back up and continue. Harper's first defeat when she went against that gym leader was a true inspiration – he wanted to be just like her. Since her defeat at the gym, she hadn't lost a single battle which was truly amazing and inspiring.

"Hi mate," the dancer said. "The name's dancer Mickey. It's time to show you how a real dancer does things."

"Ok," said Brandon. "Challenge accepted. Sandshrew, I choose you!"

"Pansage," said the dancer. "Let's show them our moves!"

Immediately as it leapt from its Pokéball, the Pansage shoot out some Vine Whip and wrapped it around the Sandshrew, stopping the Pokémon from moving. It couldn't even dodge roll around the other Pokémon. The Pansage slowly approached the Sandshrew, blasting out Seed Bomb at it, causing great pain to the Sandshrew. Suddenly, using every bit of its strength, the Sandshrew made a might swipe at the Pansage as the other Pokémon got closer, knocking the Pansage out.

"Well done, my friend," the dancer said. "You've won!"

"Do I get my price now?" Brandon asked.

The dancer laughed. "There's two more of my brethren," he explained. "Beat them, and the price is yours."

So, Brandon quickly rushed down to Narrow Street. He didn't realise it at the time, but he had missed bumping into Harper and Pedro, who had just entered the café a few minutes earlier. The man in a trashcan was still there, smiling at everyone that passed. Suddenly another dancer bounced out, this time even more excited than the last. Like the first dancer, he wore the same clothing as any other dancer – track paints and a mustard yellow t-shirt. However, he had a short spiky black haircut. He spoke with a Unovan accent, so it was clear he was from around these parts.

"Come to battle me too?" he said, sounding a little bit surprised, as if he didn't expect his fellow dancer to be beaten by some young kid such as Brandon. "Alrighty then! I'm dancer Edmond, and I challenge you to a battle! Panpour, let's show them some dance moves!"

"Ok," said Brandon, holding out one of his Pokéballs. "Bulbasaur, do your best!"

Bulbasaur slowly strolled around the Panpour to intimidate its opponent. It was confident that it could win the wattle. The Bulbasaur circled the other Pokémon, which confused it. Bulbasaur knew very well that it could win since it was a grass-type Pokémon. Pokémon of those types always beats water-type Pokémon. It shot out its Leech Seed to suck the health out of the Panpour, and by throwing out some Vine Whip it was able to stop the Panpour from moving. It then used Razor Leaf, which blasted a wind of leaves at the Panpour, knocking the opposing Pokémon out.

"Awesome! One more to go! Find my other friend to win the prize Well done my brother!" he said, jumping about and doing some kick and punching dance moves before doing summersaults back towards the Centre Plaza. He said as he went off: "Find my last friend on Unity Pier. Good lucky luck, bro!"

Brandon suddenly rushed to the edge of the city that overlooked the ocean and the harbour below. He couldn't wait to take on the last dancer. This achievement he could show Harper and she would be very proud of him and maybe even ask him out – he doubted that since she was already going out with Pedro, and she was out of his league. She was very pretty, and most guys had crushes on her, including Brandon. But it wouldn't hurt him, wouldn't it?

So, he walked down to the harbour area where he saw the dancer dancing on the dock, attracting a lot of viewers, paying this busker to dance for them. He was doing some pretty cool break-dancing moves, which really impressed Brandon. Where the other two dancers looked like amateurs, it was obvious that this guy was a professional at what he was doing. Brandon clapped as the dancer bowed and then approached him. Unlike the other dancers, this guy didn't speak in an abstruse manner but instead spoke clear and direct. This guy wasn't some fool or anything. He knew what he was doing.

"Well done my friend. Now come and battle your final opponent and then the reward is all yours!" he said as Brandon came close to him. The crowd started to cheer for they were about to witness an epic clash between two trainers. "I'm dancer Raymond and I challenge you to a Pokémon battle! Pansear, I choose you!"

"Mudkip," said Brandon taking out his ball. Since Pedro was going on date with Harper, he entrusted Brandon with his Mudkip. "Come and win me my prize! Do it your best and don't disappoint!"

The Pansear blasted out a long puff of fire, but Mudkip luckily dodged the incoming attack. The Pansear kept using Flame Burst, but Mudkip was able to deflect it with Reflect. The Mudkip moved slowly towards the Pansear, with a water shield created from the Reflect to protect and defend the Pokémon. It got close enough and then shot out a wave of water, knocking the Pansear back. With one simple tackle, the Pansear was knocked out!

"Well done my friend," said the last dancer. "Here, have an Amulet Coin. Although it may seem useless, it will give your good luck wherever you go."

Brandon felt proud of himself. He decided to go find Pedro and Harper to tell them the good news. But when he returned to the café, they were gone!