Chapter 19: Castelia City Gym

After having a romantic dinner at Café Sonata, Harper and Pedro did a polite bow to everyone else and thanked the manager for the free dinner. They decided that it was about the right time to leave. Everyone was extremely sad that they had to go since they were the best costumers the restaurant had ever had and were truly awesomely entertaining – even the jazz band agreed. So, they casually left the café after paying and as they walked out – just after Brandon had battled the dancer - some guy walked up to them. He was a rather tall person, with light blond hair. He wore a t-shirt that said, "Go Iceland!"

"Hi, the name's Randle," he said, "but my friends call me Rand. I Challenge you to a Pokémon battle! Larvitar and Porygon, come out and show them who's boss!"

"Yes, I'll accept your challenge!" said Harper, standing up to the encounter, appearing tremendously courageous and valiant. She was always up for a Pokémon battle. "Pansage and Timburr, do your best!"

The Larvitar was some mirky-lime green reptile Pokémon that had an upright backbone on the top of its head. It had red eyes and a red diamond patch on its chest. The Porygon was some digitalized Pokémon that was light pink with a light pale blue nose. Both looked very powerful, and Harper wondered if she was able to defeat them. She decided to not let her nerves kick in or else she would lose the Pokémon battle. She knew she couldn't overthink things.

Harper's Pokémon stared at Rand's ones, giving out scary looking yes at each other. The Porygon floated towards the Pansage and started to flash like a strobe light – this was by using Psybeam – which gave the Pansage an epileptic fit. The Pansage started to run around uncontrollably before becoming paralyzed. The Timburr swung its massive metal bar at Larvitar, which knocked it out. With the same swing, it hit the Porygon making it lose lots of health. The Porygon used Recover which brought it make to full strength. It then went up to the Pansage and zapped it using Discharge, knocking the Pokémon out. It looked unlikely that Harper would win, but with another mighty swing of the metal bar, the Timburr knocked the Porygon out.

"You are pretty good," said Rand, after shaking Harper's hand in congratulation – they were on Narrow Street still, "you should take on the gym leader in this city. His name is called Burgh. If you battle like that against him, you will surely win! I wish you good luck!"

"Thank you for suggesting that!" said Harper. She felt very excited and well prepared to go and take on the gym leader. She was eager to see what type of Pokémon the gym leader used. "I'm sure not to disappoint you."

So, they went back to the Pokémon centre and decided to have their Pokémon healed first. Since it was getting rather late – the sky was getting dark with the moon freshly out in the cloudless sky – Harper decided she should take on the gym leader tomorrow. That way they would be more awake ready to take on Burgh – or whoever the gym leader was. Rand spoke so fast that they couldn't pick the name as well as they could have had.

Brandon came back. He seemed very excited. He had just won three battles against a group of dancers. Harper was very extremely proud of him. She knew he had a crush on her, but she saw him like a smaller brother which made things rather awkward at times. After getting their Pokéballs healed, they went to bed early.

Harper was exceptionally excited that she found it extremely difficult to fall asleep. She kept turning sides while trying to sleep – from left to right – and at no point did she find the bed remotely comfortable at all. She eventually gave up trying to get to bed and read a book. She scanned through an interesting novel of a guy from Kanto who stopped Team Rocket from stealing lots of Pokémon. The book was an autobiography and she found it very thought provoking and enlightening. She wondered if she would ever meet this guy. He seemed like a fascinating person and would surely teach her a lot if she ever had to battle against him. Apparently, his main Pokémon was a Pikachu. She had seen pictures of this Pokémon before, an electric mouse-type. She found its yellow fur to look very cute. She always wanted one but didn't know where to catch one. She'd heard it wasn't possible to catch on in Unova, since the region didn't have Pikachu. Harper decided if she was ever going to get a Pikachu, she was going to call it Ryan-chu.