Notes

Daryls POV

Just the way she argued about the girl, and the look of determination in her eyes made me understand that this wasn't only about saving some blonde kid. For the first time I had actually witnessed, other than when they left my brother, she got in Rick's face over something. Rick seemed almost as shocked as I was over it. Finally, he agreed. I knew the last thing he, or really anyone wanted was an angry Kat running around. Afterwards, she stormed off and I watched as she showed the young girl into our cell block, which we were trying to keep as private as possible. She set her things in the cell next to ours and sat on her bed talking to her.

"You're just gonna let her do what she wants, just like that?!" Her brother scoffed at Rick. "Like she said, what she says goes... Maybe you should remember that when you're giving her shit. If it wasn't for her, none of you would be here right now." Rick growled at him before pacing away himself. I smirked a bit at the man. To say I didn't like him was a complete understatement. I hated the fucker with every bit of my being. It was around dinner time now, but I knew Kat hadn't brought home any meat today. That wasn't a big deal though, we had plenty of food at the moment, someone would just have to go tomorrow. I went to Kat and I's cell, changing out of my raggedy old shirt into a new one. Kat came in moments later, pulling something out of her bag. "What's that?" I asked as I walked behind her and put my arms around her waist. The sweet aroma of her hair hitting me as she leaned back a bit. "Taylor needed a new belt." I pushed my head into her neck, kissing the area lightly. "You're being mighty generous to her, honey. Why's that?" She shrugged. She turned around and kissed me, roughly but passionate none the less. She pulled away and smiled. "I'm gonna take Beth and Taylor both hunting tomorrow. Maybe go fishing too." "You're taking that kid out after she just got here?" Kat rolled her eyes. "Use her name when you talk about her. And I told her I was going out, she wanted to come with." I shrugged a bit, nodding. "You want me to tag along o-" "Its okay Dare, do whatever you gotta do here." Take that as a no.... "Okay honey." I said, flashing her a quick smile. She grinned back and left. I rubbed the back of my neck a moment, then left as well.

Kat had gotten Taylor a bowl of food before she went to bed, taking it to her cell. Taylor hadn't left her cell, and I wasn't too sure why. Kat just said she didn't socialize well with people, and that she had a pretty bad temper. From the way Kat described her, they seem to be almost exactly alike. It was almost creepy. I was laying in bed, waiting for my small, beautiful girl to come to bed and lay into my arms, but the way she treated the blonde she had just met wouldn't leave my mind. She acted as though that little girl meant the world to her, and I just couldn't think of any reason why she would.

I finally watched Kat enter our cell, laying down and curling into me. "Hun..." I whispered quietly to her. She turned and raised an eyebrow. "Why ya bein' so nice to that girl?" She shrugged, but sighed afterwards. "She reminds me of me... And when I was her age, I wanted someone to act how I'm acting towards her... And I can tell by the look in her eye how much she loves what I'm doing, even after a simple day." I nodded a bit. It made sense now why she wanted the girl to be here, why she wanted to take care of her so badly.

"Goodnight Dare." She mumbled tiredly, her voice a soft, hushed whisper. I couldn't help but smile. "Goodnight Kat... I love you."

Kat's POV

The next morning I got up to the nice and peaceful quiet. I got up and got dressed, grabbing my weapons and going to wake up the girls so we could leave. "Beth." I whispered as I pushed her top bunk a bit. I was trying not to wake the peacefully sleeping Hershel under her. My watch said 5:30, but it was 20 minutes ahead of time so I'd always rush. It was something I had always done. Beth sat up groggily, running her hand through her hair. "Get dressed, we're about to leave." She nodded, carefully climbing out of the bed. I went to Taylor's cell next, but was surprised to see Carl had somehow managed to fall asleep in there. I slowly kicked his leg and he jumped up. "Kat... Oh um, we were just talking.. Promise." I nodded a bit, a smirk on my lips. "Okay.. Get to your cell, before your dad wakes up and has a fit." He nodded, grabbing his hat that laid on the ground and shuffling out of the room. "So, young lady." I said, sitting next to the girl that I knew was pretending to sleep. "Carl in your cell, huh?" She sighed and sat up. "Idiot wouldn't leave until I told him what the scar on my arm was from.. I wouldn't tell him, so he slept here." I looked down at the light pink scar on her arm. "What's it from?" I asked quietly. She looked down, then looked back up at me. "Can I tell you later?" I slowly nodded, but put her hand in mine. "We're gonna leave in 15, okay?" She nodded and I stood up, walking out to let her get dressed. I grabbed a pen and a piece of paper, writing a note for Daryl so he didn't get worried or get angry I didn't tell him before I left.