Shot Down

The irritation clouded the air as Rick now began to hand Shane his gun. I looked at Rick, but rather than handing it to him all the way, he shoved a knife into Shane's chest. Shane's gun boomed as the bullet left the chamber. I felt something tear into my leg, and I fell back from the push of the bullet tearing through my skin. "Kat!" Rick yelled, and I began to get up. It grazed me pretty bad, tearing back almost all the skin on my thigh. I only fell back down, my head pounding. I knew what shock felt like, and this was definitely that. I couldn't tell anything that was happening around me, but I did hear another gunshot. I coughed, but managed to force myself to speak. "Rick!" I groaned. I felt arms on me, seeing one being Rick, the other being Carl. They began quickly carrying me back to the house, but we all heard the groans.

Rick's grip was slipping on me, and I finally just pushed him away. I managed to balance myself. "Run Rick!!! Go, just go!" Tears rolled down Carl's cheeks. "Kat!" "I'll try, kid!" I yelled, knowing what he wanted me to do. I took off running, but stumbled with every step. Finally, a few of the faster walkers began to catch up to me. I grabbed one, quickly cutting it and shoving whatever came out all over me, praying it would disguise the smell of my own blood, but I also took extra cloth, wrapping my wound tightly with what small time I had. I prayed it worked as walkers approached me, snapping, but they all began to pass. I stayed quiet as I quietly ran in front of them, managing to make it faster than them, while still not attracting them to me. I made it to the house as I watched Lori and Beth speed off. I got to Herhsel, and he smiled at me. "Katherine!" I made it to him, watching lightly as he shot walkers down one by one. Rick began yelling for him, but I knew they wouldn't make it out without a distraction. "Go. I'll be fine. The group is probably gonna go to the highway, so be quick to make it there. I'll see you." I mumbled, shoving him Rick's direction. I began running into the woods, yelling for the walkers to follow. Most of them noticed me finally, chasing me. I quickly pushed myself into the woods, running as fast as possible. "If I make it right now, I swear I'll do nothing but protect them." I mumbled, closing my eyes tightly. As I opened them, I saw the road. I fell onto the hard, black cement. I was coughing so hard, and I felt sick to my stomach. I rolled to my back, letting out a sling of cuss words. I started towards the highway, finding a bike, but knowing it'd be a miracle if it got me all the way there. I didn't care much though, I just wanted to get off of my feet.

About an hour later, the bike let out a puff of black smoke. I sighed, stopping it and hopping off. I wasn't too far from the highway. I just hoped they were still there, and that they all were. Th pain that engulfed my body was excrutiating as I began walking, and I couldnt help the constant falling. my leg kept giving out, and it made it hard to do something as simple as crawl even. I groaned but somehow managed to push myself farther

I walked a bit further, seeing the group. "Because I ain't leavin' Kat!" I heard Daryl's voice growl at the rest of the group. They all had red eyes, and puffy cheeks from crying. Carl was the first to see me, and his cheeks slid into a bright smile. "Kit Kat!" He yelled as he ran past everyone hugging me tightly to him. It was something new, hearing someone call me Kit Kat again... I draped an arm on him, sighing. Daryl was up to me in a second, looking at my leg. "Shane.." I mumbled quietly enough for only him to hear. His eyebrows furrowed, and his eyes darkened with anger. "What happened?" I heard someone question. "Shane shot her!" Carl growled, his hands balling into fists. "But he's gone now." He mumbled lightly. I gulped a bit, nodding. "Yeah... " Everyone was quiet, obviously not knowing what to say to me. I only shrugged it off, then pushed the attention to Rick. "What's the plan?"

We began getting water and such, while Hershel laid me back onto the car. "This is gonna hurt." He mumbled, and I felt a cloth on my leg. It felt like it was eating away at my skin slowly, but I only gritted my teeth, not allowing a scream leave my lips. I then felt my leg get stabbed what seemed like a thousand times with a needle. I let out a whimper, and I knew if I didn't grip something, I wouldn't be able to hold in the screams. I grabbed the nearest thing to me, shoving my head into someone's chest. The scent, and the way they mumbled that I'd be okay made me realize it was Daryl. I squeezed his vest in my hands as I let out whimpers to his neck. He squeezed me tightly, then lifted my head once Hershel was done. "Shhh.. He's done now, Kat... It's all better." Hershel wrapped up my leg, then I hopped down, of course with the help of Daryl. I limped to a truck, sighing as I laid back. "Shit."