Goodbye Home

All of a sudden, the sword swung down onto Herhsel's neck, causing me to cringe. I pulled the gun up, shooting at the men that stood before us. The governor lifted his gun and I heard a roar of gunfire. I felt the lead hit me, and I fell straight to the ground, screaming in agonizing pain. "Kat!" Rick yelled, picking me up quickly and running behind a car. He held his hands down on my shoulder, but when he lifted them they were covered in blood. "Go!" I yelled, trying to stand. "Go now!" He looked unsure, but ran. I lifted my gun once again, aiming and shooting at many of the governor's men. 1, 2, 3 I shot down quicker than I could honestly think. I managed to start running towards the prison, even making it up to the wall. Everyone seemed to be gone, except a small infants cry. I tried to hold my wound as I ran and got on my knees in front of Judith's car seat, but when I picked her up I ended up having to remove my hand. "Kat!" I heard someone call. I turned to see Rachel, her eyes watery. I quickly grabbed her hand and took off running with her into some clearing. As I ran I looked everywhere, but there were no signs of Daryl.

    "Kat..." Rachel said once we had gotten far enough that it was safe to slow down. "We have to get your wound cleaned up." I nodded, but held Judith tight to me. "Let's go in one of these houses." Rachel said, gripping my hand and pulling me towards one of the brick homes on the block. I laid back a bit on the couch as she walked around, finally coming back with some gauze and a cloth. I rocked the baby as she wrapped my shoulder. I could only think about the prison, but not even that as much as I was thinking about how to find Daryl. "Did you see if..." "I didn't see him, Kat." Rachel said, already knowing what I was about to ask. "What about Taylor?" She nodded. "I watched her run into the woods. I know she left." I nodded, feeling a bit of relief. All I wanted at that moment though, was to feel Daryl's arms around me. "Kat we need to leave. Try and find someone before the sun sets." I nodded, knowing my face held no emotion as I stood and followed her out the door.

Daryl's POV
    Hating myself for what I did was a fuckin understatement. I watched the only person that cares about me get shot down right in front of me, and you know what the last thing I did to her was? I pushed her away, when all she was trying to do was help me get through something. Damn it why'd I do that? That's the last thing she ever got from me, instead of me telling her I love her and that she's my world, like I should have. Hell maybe if I had just went with Michonne and her, maybe if I hadn't just given up none of this would have happened. The prison would still be fine, and our biggest issue would've been rebuilding the fences... If I would've just looked for him... Kat wouldn't be dead. It's all my fucking fault.

Katherine's POV

       I noticed clear, careful footprints as we walked for a bit, and I could only imagine it was someone from the prison. "This way." I motioned Rachel to follow me. "What do you have in your bag?" Rachel asked, looking at the satchel on my hip. I pushed my gun to my back, then grabbed and opened the bag with one hand while I held Judith in the other. "Canteen, Multi Tool pocket knife, my hunting knife, and.... Hershel's bible." The last one caused her to give me sympathetic eyes. "I figured you woulda been with your boy toy when the governor came." I mumbled. She nodded. "I was, but... I don't know where he is now." I slowly nodded at the young women in front of me. "Sorry." She shook her head. "I've got faith in him." I only nodded, continuing to follow the path. It was almost dark, and I was starting to feel sick. "Maybe we should just give for tonight." Rachel said, looking me up and down. "I'm okay... Just a little woozy is all." I gripped my stomach, trying to mask the feeling that I was about to throw up. "Kat you're getting really pale." I shook my head, following the tracks further. "Just look for shelter while we walk. If we come across something good we can stop." I mumbled. She nodded, her eyes searching as we continued to follow the careful path. "Kat up there." I sighed, looking at the small house in our path. I nodded a bit as we got up to it. I tapped on the window, waiting to see if there were any walkers in it. After a few seconds of nothing, I opened the door. I checked around more careful than ever, since I had Judith in my arms. The girl was half asleep, her eyes fighting to stay open. "Clear." I mumbled to Rachel. She shut and locked the door and I laid down on the couch. I set Judith beside me, between the back of the couch and I and closed my eyes, preparing to go to sleep.

"Kat..." "Yeah Rachel?" "I love you." I turned to see the girl rubbing her shoulder, looking at the ground. "I love you too, kid."

The next morning I got up and fed Judith, then prepared for us to leave. I ransacked everything useful from the house, then planned out our route. "We're gonna head north, see if we can find anyone around there." Rachel nodded, and I picked up Judith. "Hi gorgeous." I said as she looked at me, causing her to smile and giggle a bit. "Who's my favorite little girl?" She became a giggling mess, making me smile. "Alright, come on."

We walked through the path slowly, neither of us really having the energy to keep a fast steady pace. "I'm hungry." Rachel whined. "There's a granola bar from that house. Or there's a couple cans of stuff." Rachel nodded, pulling out the bar and beginning to eat it. I heard voices. I couldn't quite make out what they were saying but I knew I recognized them. "L-... Lizzie?" I called out. "Mika?" Soon enough Mika submerged from the woods, smiling brightly at me. "Katherine!" Carol was next to appear, then Tyrese and Lizzie. "Kat!" Tyrese smiled as he ran to me. I can't explain the amount of relief I had, but disappointment when I realized that Daryl, not Rick or Carl or anyone was with them. Suddenly, the trees rustled again, and a young girl came out. Her smile grew as wide as possible when she saw me, tears begging to form in her eyes. "Kat! I thought you were gone." I hugged her to me tightly. "I'm right here Tay." Carol took Judith from me to hold her, and I held the girl in my arms for a moment. "Have you guys found any source of shelter?" I looked at Rachel. "That house wouldn't last us very long." I mumbled. She nodded in agreement. "Not that'll help us any." Carol nodded. "Then I guess we need to keep moving." I nodded and sighed. "And find the rest of the group."

Sure, it was great to have Tyrese and Carol and them with me, but I couldn't help but want more... I wanted Rick and Carl. I wanted Maggie and Beth.... What I wanted the most? I wanted Daryl, more than anything else in the world I wanted him to be okay. I wanted him to be here. That's what stayed on my mind too. Every second of every moment. That one name was repeated in my head. Daryl.