Sisterly Love

I called Rick and Daryl into the room, then sighed. "Who were you with?" She gave me a sad smile. "I was with Tucker, my boyfriend, Allison, which is Bub's wife, Bub, Mom, and our stepdad, Ray." I slowly nodded, but felt rage wash throughout my veins. They left me, then started perfect lives... While I went through hell, they got paradise. She looked almost unrecognizable, but only because her resemblance to our father grew. She looked quite a bit like me, actually. "Where are they?" She shrugged. "I dont know. We were ambushed by a group of deadies when we were on a run." I sighed. "No camp for me to return you to?" She shook her head. "We never stayed in one place... We were in Florida, but there is worse than here." I sighed. I looked to Rick, then mumbled. "She stays with us." He slowly nodded. "Just remember, another mouth to feed." "We've managed." I looked to the girl, then nodded. "Come with us... Only until we find your group." She looked upset when I told her it was only temporary, but she nodded. "Okay,"

We finished our runs, getting everything we needed, except I knew we were going to need more for the baby soon. I walked into the prison, watching Rachel slowly move behind me. "Who's that?" Beth almost hissed. It took me by surprise, but I understood it. We had gotten so used to being with each other, we had all built up walls to force everyone else out. "This is Rachel... She's gonna be stayin' with us." Beth raised her eyebrow. "Tell them we're family..." Rachel whispered in my ear. "I ain't gonna lie to them." I mumbled. I told Lori to watch Rachel while I helped barrier the fence with Daryl. She agreed, smiling warmly at Rachel. I gave Lori a pat on the back as I walked out, Daryl directly behind me.

"So, that's your sister, huh?" I nodded. "How old was she when she left." I sighed. "Nine." He nodded a bit. "It ain't her fault, that they left... You're being pretty... Rough on her. I mean, she just got here and you're already just leaving her all alone." I shrugged. "Better than just leavin' her." I growled. He shook his head. "She's family. And she was a girl, who didn't have a say so when that happened." He said quietly to me. I knew he was right, but I couldn't help myself. "Exactly... Which is why I didn't leave her there... If it were anyone else.. Hell, even if it was my mom, I wouldn't have brought her here... I'm doing this for her, and this is the best she's gonna get." Daryl sighed. "Kat... She's your sister. " "You can't be sisters with a stranger." With that, we both stopped talking, focusing on the fence.

I stayed out there most of the day, and Daryl stayed with me. Daryl finally looked at me and sighed, wiping his brow. "You gotta stop avoiding goin' in there." He grumbled, sitting down on the dirt. I sat down in front of him, but shook my head. "I'm not." He gave me 'the look', telling me that we both knew I in fact was avoiding going into the prison. "C'mon... We've been workin' for hours now... Time to go inside for a bit." I sighed as he stood up and extended his hand for me to do the same. I took a grasp at his hand as he hoisted me up, giving me a half smile. "It'll be okay, Kat..." I smiled a bit. "I know..."

We walked back into the prison, but everyone was in the cell block. I huffed, walking into Hershel's cell quietly. Nobody was paying attention, and there was nobody in his cell. He opened his eyes and smiled at me. "Hello.." I gave him a half smile. "Sorry 'bout your leg." He huffed a bit of a laugh. "Rick said your the one who threw him the axe... I don't quite remember what happened. But by what he said, you kept me alive..." I shook my head. "I 'bout killed ya." He shook his head. "Really not one for complements, huh?" I shook my head. "I saw the girl you brought back... Rick says she's your sister." I shrugged. "Blood." He nodded. "I don't know what happened with your family, but I'm sorry." I shook off his comment, changing the subject to what he wanted for dinner. We joked around a bit, then I noticed him begin to dose off and on. "I'll be heading out now... Get some rest." He smiled, giving me a nod and I walked out. I almost ran into Beth, and she smiled at me. "He doing okay?" She asked. I nodded. "He's tired... Figured he needed some sleep." She nodded. "Then I'll go make him something for when he gets up." I nodded. "There's squirrel in the cooler on the counter. Cook him that with just pepper and some green beans." She smiled, nodding. "Looks like that's dinner for tonight then!"

I was going over a map with Rick, because he wanted to think up places that we could scavenge for baby stuff. "There was that shop up town a bit." I shook my head. "Up there has to be over run... We'd have to take 4 or 5 of us just to try to get anything." He sighed, but nodded. "Hey Kat!" I turned to Maggie, with Rachel right beside her. "What?" "We need more water. I was going to let you know I'm taking Rachel and Glenn down to the creek to get some..." I nodded. "You and Glenn take a gun." I looked at Rachel, then pulled my hunting knife off of my belt, along with its holster. "Go for the head..." I mumbled, handing it to her and turning back to the map. I heard their footsteps grow faint behind me, then continued with Rick.

After that things were pretty dull, at least until dinner. I sat across from Rachel, between Rick and Daryl. I ate silently and quickly, trying to get away as soon as I could. "You know we looked for you..." I heard Rachel mumble between bites. I raised an eyebrow at her. "After the outbreak... We looked for you." I rolled my eyes, continuing my quick pace eating. "What happened to dad?" I dropped my fork. I swallowed and looked into her eyes. A mixture of both curiosity and sorrow swirled around in her green eyes, which she got from our mom. "Did he get bit?" Her eyes flashed a bit of excitement. Although, the thought of him being bit kind of amused me also... But that's a kind of dark thing to think about. I shook my head, drawing any emotion out of my face, voice, and eyes. "Ate his gun 'bout, six years ago." Her mouth dropped a bit, and it only shrugged, taking another bite. "Where'd you go?" I sighed. "End of the discussion now Rachel..." I wiped my mouth, then got up. "Hurry and get to bed soon... Tomorrow morning we're going to look for your group..." "So you want me gone that bad?" I didn't look at her, turning to go to my bed. "Yep."