Sickness

Weeks passed by, but nothing really happened at the prison. We got a lot done, it was finally becoming a home. I had been killing walkers on the fence since I had gotten up. Without doing it, they would tare down the fence. That'd be a problem of course, so every day we put people on fence duty. It was labor, that's for sure. Repeatedly pushing a hard, heavy, metal bar through skulls was definitely not anyone's favorite thing to do for the whole day. Most people argued the job, so it was just easier if Rick, Daryl, or I went and did it along with them, because they respected us enough to follow our command.

I felt a hand on my shoulder while I was killing off walkers, and turned to see a smiley Hershel. Over the weeks, Hershel had became one of the few I really talked to all the time. Rick was constantly arguing for me to be more 'social', but these people were with the man that tried to kill us, and you expect me to treat them all like my best friends? You're funny. "Hey!" Hershel looked at all the walkers. "Quite a few more today." I sighed, shoving the bar into another head. "Yeah. We must have caught a herd sometime last night. We need more stability in the fence before they knock it down." He nodded. "Rick said he was getting more wood to help it. Maybe some more poles." I nodded, shoving the pole in another walker. "I don't know why they're still here. Before they usually gave up." I looked over and noticed a torn up animal of some sort. I raised an eyebrow. I hit another, but looked at Hershel and motioned to the animal. "You see that? Looks like rat." He walked over, kicking it a little with his shoe. "It is." "Ain't no way a critter would come over here on its own free will." He nodded, giving me a look. "We should bring this up to the board." I groaned. "I hate being on the board." He chuckled. "Well you and Rick are the heads of it." "Ricks choice, not mine." He chuckled. "You're a good leader. I know everyone here agrees on that too." I rolled my eyes. "It's a lot of people I'm responsible for..." He nodded. I continued smashing my pole into more and more walkers. "Well you're the best person for the job. I'm very proud of you." I'm smiled, looking at him. He kissed my forehead. "I'm gonna go check on the farm. See ya later. Love you." He did that all the time to me. The whole love you thing. "Love you too."

After an hour, I felt a presence behind me. "Yes?" I asked, not quite knowing who it was. "Hey.." Stefan's voice said behind me. "You doing okay?" I shoved the pole into another walkers head. "Yes? Is there something you need?" "You forgive me for that Daryl fight yet?" I sighed. "You're the one that got your ass beat. I didn't have much to be angry about." He looked down nodding. "Uh... Well... You're gonna be an aunt." I turned around, raising my eyebrows. "Audrey is pregnant?" I asked. He slowly nodded. "Yeah... Turns out she is." I scoffed, but nodded. "I would say congrats but I doubt you're happy about it." He shrugged. "I'm sure I will be... Eventually." I nodded. "Well just make sure she stays with one of the medical people. We don't need another..." I faded, looking down. "Another who?" "Another.... Lori." He raised his eyebrows. "Who was Lori?" "She was Judith's mom." He made an oh sound, nodding. "Well... Kat I love her. Please help me out here I've never hardly even held a baby let alone taken care of one.." I shrugged. "You'll do fine. I'll show you whatever you need.." He nodded and I felt his hand on my shoulder. "I should've fought... I'm sorry, I left you. If I could take it back I swear I would." He walked away, leaving me there to my own thoughts. I felt my own anger start to absorb me and I ran, piercing another walker on the fence.

After another hour of doing this, I went and sat down. "Hard day?" "Been at the fence all day." Carl nodded, smiling at me. "You look pretty today." I raised my eyebrows. "Who are you and what have you done with my kiddo?" He chuckled a little, smiling brighter. "Seriously. You look beautiful." I smiled, but tilted my head. "Do you want something?" He shook his head. He put his arm on me and I laughed. "Yes you do, what do you need?" He sighed. "You see the group over there?" I looked over and nodded. It wasn't a very large group of kids, just 4 and a decent amount of adults. Daryl and Rick were both one of them. "Well.. They sort of dared me to.. Uh..." He groaned and I laughed. "Wha-" I was caught off guard when he kissed me, then took off running. I knew my eyes had to be wide, and my cheeks had to be red. I heard a howl of laughter erupt from the group. I turned and looked at them, shaking my head. "Seriously?" They all nodded, and Ricks face was red from all the laughter. I walked over and looked at them shaking my head. "You're all awful." "He just did what half the guys here wanna do." Taylor said chuckling. "Every guy from ages 10 to 35 have crushes on you. They just pray you're single." She wiggled her eyebrows and I rolled my eyes. "It's true. You're what the guys like to talk about." Rick commented. I could see Daryl's jaw clenching and unclenching from their words and I smirked. "Like who?" "Like Bob, or Thomas, or really anyone." Rick chuckled. "Hell I think even Tyrese has got a tiny crush on you." I laughed along with them, but Daryl only bit his cheek a bit and began sharpening his knife.

After a moment we went to go eat, then it was time to go to bed. I laid down, closing my eyes, but was forced to open them when the door slammed. "What?" I asked Daryl. "Stop wearing those shorts. They're too short." I raised my eyebrows. "The hell?" My shorts aren't even all that short, but either way it's hot as hell. "I said don't wear them shorts. Unless you're trying to get everyone to wanna sleep with you." "Daryl." He threw himself down, huffing. He was pissed. "What?! I don't like them lookin' at you. You're gonna get me in a fight dressin like that." I felt a small smile on my face as I pushed myself on top of him. "Who do I come to bed with every night?" I asked. He shrugged. "Me." I nodded. "And who do I kiss everyday?" He sighed. "Me." I started kissing his jaw and neck. "And who do I love more than life itself, and would never leave?" I mumbled against his neck. He let out a puff of air as I let my teeth graze his skin. "Me." I nodded and sat up, ripping my shirt off. He sat up also and started kissing my neck and collar bones. I felt his hot breath on my skin as he mumbled, "You're mine."

That morning I woke up in Daryls arms, moving quietly and quickly to get dressed. "Babe?" He mumbled half asleep. He sat up and finally opened his eyes. "Hi." I smiled. He looked down, realizing he was still shirtless. "Well that was a fun night." He yawned. I kissed him quickly, then told him I was going down for breakfast.

After not too long, someone came running from the prison. "WALKERS!! WALKERS IN CELL BLOCK C!" I took off running into the prison, running in and seeing the walkers. I shoved my knife into one, then grabbed another and pushed it to the ground, stomping on its head. I was evacuating people at the same time, pushing people out the door while stabbing whatever walker came close. I felt one grab me by surprised, and I fought to get out of its grip as another came snarling at me. I kicked on back but the one behind me was a bit harder to fight off. I felt it go limp and pushed it away, to see an orange arrow stuck into its skull.Soon enough, all walkers were down and people were out. I felt hands moving up and down my arms, moving the cloth of my shirt to keep checking. "Ya okay???" Daryl asked as he checked frantically. I nodded. "I'm fine, Dare." I assured, smiling at him. "Alright.. Come on."

I went to help clean up while Rick went to the board meeting. He could tell me what was going on later. After around an hour I went up to talk to Rick and Daryl. "A sickness. That's what's killing people." Rick sighed. "We've gotta do something." "Quarantine the kids... Then quarantine the affected people." I sighed in response. "It's all we can really do." He nodded and pinched the bridge of his nose. "We're sending a group to get medicine for the people who are sick. Daryl's going, but... Kat we need you here." I looked at Daryl and he looked to the side. "Okay..." Rick nodded and walked away to go evacuate people, leaving Daryl and I to talk. "I'm takin' Tyrese, Michonne, and Bob." He mumbled. I nodded. "Be careful." "You need to be more careful than me. Don't go near anyone you see coughin', understand me?" I nodded. "I... I gotta leave..." I raised my eyebrows. "Right now?!" They just came up with this idea and they're gonna just go? "I love you..." He whispered. "I... I love you too." He kissed me. "I'll be back with that medicine." "Promise?" He sighed, but nodded. "Promise."