The Memories

Once we were done hunting, we each had 4 squirrels and a bird on our belts. I closed my eyes as we sat in the truck, hearing Daryl sigh. "When we get to the prison, I'm gonna get you some food... You've been pretty low on energy, and you haven't eaten in over 3 days..." I looked at him, knowing he was right. I slowly nodded, earning a small smile from Daryl. His hand lightly rested next to mine, and our pinkies intertwined. Finally, we pulled into the prison. Nobody really knew if we were 'together' or not. We just... We were Kat and Daryl. Everyone just went with it. Daryl took his hand back, and we grabbed the meat and our weapons.

We walked back to the cell block. I sat down the meat, then sat on the first stair. "He's gonna be okay!" Beth chirped. I nodded. "Good." She nodded. "You went hunting?" I nodded. "Ill skin it, then you can make your daddy something to eat." She smiled at me. "Okay, Kat... Oh and... I don't know, maybe you could just... Go see him, soon?" I slowly nodded. "I guess. Why?" "He asked where you were..." I nodded to the girl, then went to our kills. I sighed as I took a seat T the table and took a squirrel in one hand, a clean knife in the other.

Once I had finished, Carol had come out and began cutting the meat her desired way to cook it. "You know... Daryl rubbing my shoulders wasn't anything special, right?" I laughed a bit. "It doesn't bother me, Carol... " She nodded a moment, then looked at me. "You know... Me and you haven't had a real discussion, since...." I felt my hand slightly start shaking as I tried to continue cutting. "Since Sophia." She finished. Even hearing her name, made me... I don't know how to explain it. It was a mixture of rage and depression. A mix of wanting to shoot someone and wanting to curl into a ball in the corner. "And it's because you still feel guilty." She continued, looking back down at the food. "You feel guilty that you didn't save her, when in reality you were the only one who ever really had..." I looked up at her. "I know you keep that note in your back pocket... It's not a secret to anyone... I know you have to miss her. I do every single day... But you can't feel guilty, because she was so happy with you. You made her problems seem to go away. She loved you, and frankly you never once quit looking for her... I know she would've smiled at that. It's not your fault she died... It's no ones, because it was all an accident." I gulped a bit, then stabbed my knife down on the table. "I could've found her.... Or tried to take those last two walkers too." I didn't even quite realize I had left until I found myself outside sitting in the field.

Daryl's POV
I sighed as I heard the prison door shut. The whole conversation had been heard by pretty much everyone. Especially when Kat said she could've saved her. I only sat down at the table, staring at the door to see if she would come back yet. "I'm sorry." Carol said quietly. I looked at her. "I pissed her off..." I shook my head. "No you didn't... Her grief did." She gave me a sad smile. "She shouldn't feel bad for-" "I know." I cut her off. "But she does... Because she loved that little girl." She nodded. "Soph was lucky for that... Seems hard to find someone Kat truly cares about. None the less loves." I slowly nodded. "Yeah." "Why is she like that?" I opened my mouth, but honestly didn't know what to say. "It's okay... If you can't tell me." I nodded. "You gonna go get her?" I shook my head. "I'm gonna leave her alone... Give her some time to herself." She nodded.

After a bit, Kat came back in. She sighed, sitting down at the table. She laid her head down, and I quickly grabbed her some food. I grabbed her some of one of the bird we caught, and some of the canned corn we had gotten from the prisoners. I set the plate next to her head, and she gave me a thankful smile. "No sharing." I mumbled to her as I grabbed some for myself. "There's enough that we can all eat." She nodded, and I sat next to her. I hid the fact that my hand was on hers under the table as Rick came and sat a crossed from her. "I was thinking we should move those cars closer to the prison, just in case we need a quick getaway." Kat nodded. "That fence needs some reinforcement too... I'm thinking a few extra bars should do us for now." Rick agreed, then they started talking schedule. "So we get up at around 7 tomorrow...." Kat confirmed to Rick. "Alright. Sounds good."

We laid down in our 'bed', which was actually two cot mattresses pushed together on the peak. She had her head in my neck, one of my arms on her waist, and one of hers on my chest, while her other one was put under her pillow. "Kat..." She sleepily sat up a bit to look at me. "Yeah Dare?" She mumbled groggily. I smiled. "Never mind... I'll talk to you about it in the morning." She nodded, laying back down. "Okay Dare. Goodnight." I chuckled a bit. "Goodnight Kat."

Kat's POV

I woke up to the sound of Rick talking to T-Dog. I groaned, rubbing my eyes. Daryl sat up with a sigh, pushing his hair back. I quickly changed into a pair of black jeans and a green t-shirt. I put my belt on, making sure to put my knife and my machete on each side, then put my arrows on my back. I put my bow a crossed my chest, over my shoulder, then retied my boots. "Alright, Kat. I'm thinking a change of plans." I raised my eyebrows at Rick. "Hershel needs a pair of crutches, or a wheel chair or something. And we could use some more supplies." I sighed,rubbing the back of my neck. "What all do we need?" Lori sighed. "More blankets, would be great. All of the ones here would do good, if they were warm what so ever. Carl needs a new pair of boots, his are getting too small, and we should probably start trying to find baby clothes." I nodded. "Okay. Where was that one shop me and you went by, Rick?" He sighed. "About 5 miles North." I nodded. "I'll go by there." Rick nodded. "Daryl and I will go with you. The rest of you, stay here. We'll be back by 2."

I drove as Rick sat in the back, and Daryl sat in the passenger side. "What kind of store are we going to?" Daryl asked. "Some old clothes shop... I figured they'd have some clothes for the baby, maybe some blankets, and hopefully some shoes for Carl if we're lucky." Daryl nodded. I pulled in. "Figured after that we could go in a couple houses, then we'd have what we needed... Hopefully."

We approached the brick building, and I gave Rick and Daryl the sign to hold back. I didn't see a single walker, so I knocked lightly on the window. I waited a few moments, and soon a walker pushed itself against the glass. I nodded, them opened the door. The walker stumbled at me, but I easily pushed my knife into its skull, letting it fall to the ground. "Watch out just in case there's a few stray that didn't hear." They nodded, and we went in.

Blood was on the walls, making me feel sick. I sighed, looking at the shelves. I smiled when I saw baby clothes, looking through them. I grabbed the very few clothes they had for newborns, then grabbed a couple 1 or 2 sizes bigger. I threw them in my bag, then looked to Rick. "Any luck?" He shook his head. "We can go down the 26. See if we find anything around that block." I nodded. "I gue-" I automatically stopped talking when I heard something fall in one of the back corners of the store. I pulled up my gun, pointing it in the direction of the noise. I slowly walked to the corner, but felt something take a blow to my nose. I took a step back, but quickly tackled whoever it was. I hadnt even taked a second glance to the person, until I was on top of them. I held the person's arms down easily, then took a look. I froze. "Rachel?!"