Chapter 25

A/N - I'm on a mf roll 🏆

TW - this chapter has upsetting scenes surrounding grief  (towards the end)

~~~

"So you're not mad at me for kissing him?", I folded yet another t-shirt and dropped it into the suitcase Zane had just bought me, it looked way too big for a weekend trip but I wasn't complaining.

"You're an independent young woman Isabella", he handed me an expertly folded hoodie which put all the stuff I'd packed away to shame, "I can't keep you from doing everything".

"Does that imply there's stuff you don't want me doing?", I grabbed four books from my shelf and stuffed them in too; you can never have too many books, that was Chase's motto.

"Drugs", he replied almost instantly, "and letting yourself fall for a man who doesn't see your worth". I nodded at his words and let them sink in for a moment, adding some pyjamas to my luggage.

"When did you have your first kiss? Just out of curiosity", his lips curved into a small smile as he looked down at the joggers he was holding and just stared into nothingness.

"I was 18", he replied and I smiled, "on the older side I know, but I was saving it for someone who meant something".

"And did they? Mean something?", I paused what I was doing and watched him in his kinda dazed state.

"Most definitely", he cleared his throat and passed me the joggers, "and if Ezra means something to you mi amor, then you have my full support".

"Thanks Zane", I blushed, turning to inspect the suitcase, "is this enough?".

"I've been waiting for you to ask that for some time now", he smirked, "plenty". I chuckled and closed it; we literally had twelve hours till we were leaving and I knew Zane hadn't started packing at all.

"Please don't bring any suits", I begged as I tugged on the zip, "do you even own other clothes?".

"What do you take me for Isabella?", he adjusted his cuffs and cocked his head, "of course I do".

"Thank god", I breathed out and he chuckled, "you can go pack y'know, you don't have to waste your time helping me".

"I plan on throwing my clothes into a bag twenty minutes before we leave", he lowered himself onto my bed and glanced around, "the only thing I'm concerned about is my medication".

Since his 'slip up' which landed him in hospital, Zane had been pretty damn on point when it came to monitoring his meals and blood sugar levels; whether that was on his own accord or because he was being pestered by Scott daily, I'd never know.

"What do you need?", I sat next to him, fiddling with the duvet below me.

"I have a glucose monitoring system which is self-explanatory", he rolled up his left sleeve and showed me the plastic thing stuck in his upper arm, "and an automated insulin delivery system, also self-explanatory". He raised his shirt slightly and showed me a similar pod thing on his stomach - technology was fucking sick.

"Cool", I grinned, "do you change them often?".

"10 days and 3 days", he replied and I nodded, "can I see that?". I didn't realise what he was talking about until he gestured towards the photo of me and Mum on my bedside table; I picked it up and placed it in his hands.

"Prescott looks so much like her", he commented and I smiled softly, he was right, "how old were you here?".

"Twelve", I chuckled, "we went to Italy for my birthday- speaking of, you never told me when yours is".