Chapter 30

A/N - it's only downhill from here 😍

TW: this chapter contains scenes surrounding death and grief that some may find upsetting

~~~

I was never making Zane mad again.

I swear to you, it had been a full three days since the whole police thing, three days since the twins had been shoved back into Marco's car and returned back home, and fucking three weeks since I'd last attended school.

I could only cope with the twins for company for so long, Scott and Cay had only started talking to me again yesterday, and Zane was as distant as ever. It wasn't even that big of a deal.

Either way, it was Saturday the 23rd of February, and I, Isabella Maria Delgado, was going to ask Zane- no I was going to tell Zane, that I was going back to school.

~

"Why?", his question didn't catch me off guard, in fact it was the first thing I expected him to ask me.

"No offence, but I can't be in this house anymore", I threw my head back against the sofa opposite his desk and huffed, "the only thing keeping me sane in here right now is the twins, I barely see my friends, I haven't seen Ezra in god knows how long, I get that there's danger Zane but god- I'm losing it".

He just stared at me for a moment, not even blinking.

A small hum escaped him and he nodded, more to himself though, before clearing his throat and standing. He came and sat next to me, taking up whatever space was left on the sofa and placing his hands on his knees, he waited a second before speaking.

"Do you know why I've been so harsh on you these past few days?", not an answer to my question but okay, I shook my head and he continued, "I wanted to teach you a lesson Isabella, I can't have you go down the same route they did; sure what you did may seem like nothing- but I've watched how it progresses, I've dealt with Alexander after car hijacking, then vandalism, assault, theft, public indecency".

I'm gonna pretend I didn't hear the last one.

At all.

"I'm not gonna turn into some criminal Zane", I insisted, "I'm not like the guys in that sense".

"I'd hope not", he muttered, "you can go back to school, but the twins will be returning with you, and I'd hope you should know to contact me immediately if you believe you're in any sort of danger".

"Obviously", I nodded and he hummed, eyes still trained on me, "uh, is Marco still mad at the twins?".

"Marco could never stay mad at them for more than 24 hours", his lips lifted into a smile, "he's all they've got". I found myself smiling too, considering how angry the guy seemed a few days ago I was glad to hear he was probably going easy on them now.

"So that's a definite yes?", I double checked and he smirked.

"Yes Isabella", he clarified and I grinned - look who was going back to school...

~

"I am not going back to fucking school", I was sitting in the living room (the one attached to the kitchen) with all of my brothers, minus Chase of course, and let's just say Xander wasn't too happy about the news.

"You will be, on Monday", Zane declared and he groaned, grabbing a pillow and cursing into it, "muffling the profanity doesn't make it fall upon deaf ears Alexander".

"Speak fucking English, Zane", he scowled, "you can't just spring education back on me like this and expect me to clap and cheer".

"I bet he's secretly a nerd", Caleb muttered to Scott who snorted and shook his head, "you don't see Xav reacting like you".