Chapter One - Rebel Spirit

On a boat, in the water of Republic City, two sailors look out at the water. "This your first watch?"

"Mmhmm."

"Well then better keep your eyes peeled laddie. Ya never know what creatures lurk in the murky depths." The younger sailor gasps and looks overboard, while the older one chuckles as he walks off. A large, squid-like spirit swims beneath the boat. "Uh, Sir!"

"What?" A tentacle appears and snatches the older sailor from the boat.

"Man overboard! Man overboard!" The older sailor is dragged into the water, several more tentacles appear and begin grabbing the boat and slowly dragging it into the water.

At Air Temple Island, four figures race down a flight of stairs, all on air scooters, Ikki is in front, with Korra trailing close behind, followed by Jinora and Meelo. They take a turn, heading toward the buildings, they zoom past Pema, startling her and almost knocking her over. They swiftly turn around the training gates then jump off the platform. Korra's eyes begin to glow and she uses the extra power to pull ahead of Ikki and is flagged the winner. She comes to a stop beside Kamira and Lila, who are clapping their hands. "The Avatar is the winner!" Bumi says, enthusiastically.

Korra's eyes stop glowing and she turns and walks towards Kamira, kissing her then holding her close. She then turns towards Ikki, who is raging. "No fair! You can't go into the Avatar State to win!" Korra sticks her tongue out at Ikki, blowing a raspberry, while Kamira and Lila laugh.

"You did what?" Tenzin walks towards them. "The Avatar State is not to be used as a booster rocket! You are toying with a dangerous power that you obviously do not appreciate!"

"It's the Avatar State and I'm the Avatar. Who appreciates it more than me?"

"Clearly you need more training to grasp the depths of your spiritual connections, not to mention that you're still a long way from mastering airbending."

"I have mastered airbending!" She emphasizes her statement by directing several air blasts at the nearby trees. "Punch punch punch! See? Mastered." Tenzin eyes Korra, sceptically.

"Looks pretty good to me." Bumi nods, impressed.

"Is it too late for you to unretire from the United Forces?"

"The paperwork's gone through, little brother. From now on, it's 24/7 Bumi time!"

Tenzin walks up to Korra. "You've mastered Korra style airbending, now you need to master real airbending. Hopefully our visit to all the air temples will give you the inspiration you need to look more deeply into your studies." Korra looks at Lila and Kamira with a 'fed up' look on her face, they shrug at her, as Jinora and Ikki press their foreheads against each other, as they growl and glare at each other. Tenzin steps forward to separate them. "No one's fighting! We're going to have a wonderful time! Now that the president is in office and I'm not needed on the council, I can finally relax with my family and give Korra the attention she needs."

"Great, more attention."

"Hah! Relax... I'd pay money to see that. Maybe I'll tag along just to see 'Vacation Tenzin'." Bumi says.

"You're not invited."

"Before we go on your dad's study trip, we're gonna have some real fun in my home town at the Glacier Spirits Festival. They've got rides, games, and all kinds of fried food on sticks."

"Yay!" The kids cheer and circle around Tenzin, who makes a frustrated face.

"Yep. There's Vacation Tenzin. And you can't stop me from going to the festival, Mom already invited me." Tenzin's eyes widen before narrowing.