Chapter Twelve - Darkness Falls

Vaatu hovers above the Tree of Time, looking down at Korra, Kamira, Lila, and the brothers with Unalaq looking at him in amazement. "Raava, nothing could stop this moment. Harmonic Convergence is upon us again." Vaatu addresses the spirit in Korra.

"I'm not going to let you fuse with Unalaq. You're going right back in that prison." Korra says, causing Vaatu to try to fuse with her uncle. Korra enters the Avatar state and blasts a large fire ball at him, she then catches Unalaq with airbending, lifts him off the ground and flings him out of the portal. She leaves the Avatar state and turns to the brothers. "Don't let Unalaq back in the Spirit World."

"We're on it." Bolin says as he and Mako run through the portal, the girls turn back to Vaatu, who charges at them, Korra re-enters the Avatar State and the girls charge at Vaatu with a thrust of firebending. Korra uses all the elements to launch several attacks at Vaatu, only for him to dodge them. Kamira shoots lightning at him, it hitting his tail before he hit her away from him, causing her to slam her back off the ground, she gasps and Korra looks at her with worry and concern. Lila then shoots fire blasts at him, only for him to blast her away as well. Korra enters the Avatar State and charges at Vaatu, using airbending and firebending, destroying parts of his essence. Korra then propels herself off the ground, while Vaatu attacks her with his tendrils. She breaks his hold on her and charges at him with firebending, obliterating a large portion of him. Vaatu turns back to her and knocks her off the fire tornado before slamming her against a rock with his energy beam. He ensnares Korra with vines, incapacitating her.

"No!" 

Outside of the portal, Mako and Bolin are in vigil and in fighting stance, they are attacked with rapid ice spikes. Mako gasps while his brother protects him with an earth wall. Mako firebends from behind the wall, while Bolin earthbends. The brothers look on in silence, before they were interrupted with a barrage ice spikes from the opposite direction. They manage to dodge the attack by separating, Mako and Bolin attack. When Bolin bends another rock, he is struck by an ice spike. The rock manages to protect him, but the impact throws him toward Mako. "I don't know if we can win this fight." Bolin says to his brother.

"We don't need to win, we just need to stop Unalaq from getting back in the Spirit World." The brothers are attacked with another barrage of ice spikes, but Bolin stops the attacks with an earth wall. 

Back inside the portal, Korra struggles with the vines, Kamira and Lila both get back up, shooting fire at his vines while Korra enters the Avatar State and breaths a large breath of fire at Vaatu. She attacks Vaatu with air, water, and fire, before Kamira knocks him with fire and Korra then traps him in an air bubble with a ring of fire, water, and earth. "I'm locking you away for another ten thousand years, Vaatu!" Korra prepares to put him back into the tree, as Kamira and Lila watch.

Outside the portal, the brothers are still kept in vigil, two earth walls protecting them. "Unalaq?" Bolin peers his head over the rock. "Are you out there?" He turns to Mako, "He must've gone home?" As Bolin peers over the rock, his ex-girlfriend peers over the other side.

"Hello, my feeble turtle duck." Bolin looks at her shocked before Eska knocks him off his feet with waterbending. Mako turns to look at his brother when Desna emerges, knocking him off his feet as well. When the brother recover, a large water blast knocks them unconscious.

"Don't let them escape this time." Unalaq walks into the portal, with his children looking at each other with unsure looks.

In the Spirit world, Korra is nearly successful in locking Vaatu into the tree when she is attacked by a water blast, allowing Vaatu to break free. The girls look behind them to see Unalaq preparing another water stream, knocking them out.