Chapter Two - The Southern Lights

At the Camel yak stables, Korra rides up on Naga as Unalaq waits for her, she dismounts Naga and approaches her uncle. "You're early."

"What can I say? I'm pumped up to learn that Unalaq spirit fighting." 

Unalaq places his arm on Korra's shoulder, "I'm not here to teach you to fight spirits, I'm here to help you begin your spiritual training. We're going to one of the most remote places in the world, the long neglected spiritual centre of your tribe, the South Pole."

"You're going to train me at the South Pole?" Korra asks.

"We will do more than just train. By neglecting the spirits, the people of the South have brought darkness upon themselves, and now it threatens to destroy our tribe. We must set things right. The Southern Water tribe depends on you."

"A dangerous trip to the South Pole? Count me in!" Korra says, enthusiastically. Korra jumps on Naga to go back to her parents hut, where her and Kamira are staying. When she gets there, she jumps off and runs inside and to her room, where Kamira is sitting on her bed, reading a book. "Kam. Get up and pack a bag, you, Lila, and the boys are coming with me and Unalaq. No, you don't get a choice, babe, so don't even think of asking." Kamira pouts as she gets up to get ready. Korra passes her and kisses her pout away. They finish getting their stuff and jump on Naga, making their way to the boys and Lila, once they get everyone they make their way back to Unalaq.

 "I thought you said Bolin was coming?" Lila questioned Mako.

"He said he'd be here, but I can't worry about it. I have to make sure you have everything you need for a safe trip."

"Thanks, Captain Expedition, but I'll be fine. Korra and Kamira are there."

Korra hears a sound and turns her head around to see Tonraq pulling up on a snowmobile. Unalaq notices Tonraq and scowls, before approaching his brother. "Tonraq, what do you want?"

"I heard you're taking Korra to the South Pole. I'm coming."

"Absolutely not. You're a distraction to Korra and a hindrance to what needs to be done."

"My daughter and the fire nation princess are not going without me! They need someone to watch after them." Korra rides up to them on Naga, Kamira sitting behind her. 

"Dad, why do you always think you know what's best for me?"

"Because he is misguided. The sad truth is, it's men like your father who have put the spirit world out of balance. He's ignored my warnings in the past and hasn't learned since."

"What happened in the past?" Korra asks.

"It doesn't matter. What matters is the Everstorm." Tonraq replies.

"The Everstorm?" Mako asks.

"It's a massive blizzard that's battered the South Pole for decades. I'm coming, unless you think you can stop me."

Bolin comes into view, shouting from the distance. "Guys! Hey, wait for me!" He zooms in on a snowmobile with an attached sidecar. The girls and Mako look at him confused, as they all trail his arrival. "Check it out, I'm traveling in style! Okay, uh sorry, still getting used to that throttle."

"Uh, where'd you get the ride?"

"Varrick; he's awesome! He also gave me this fancy snowsuit! It's inflatable, with an internal heater, emergency beacon, and food ration pouches! I mean, if I get lost, I can survive in this thing for like, like a month! Who wants some freeze dried cucumberquats, Nobody?... Did I interrupt a conversation?"

"No the conversation is over. Dad, come if you want, just don't interfere with my training." She rides away from the group.

Later that night, Bolin is driving the snowmobile while Desna and Eska sit together in the sidecar. Bolin looks upset and Mako rides towards them on his camel yak. "Well, what do you know? Looks like-"