Chapter Five - Enemy At The Gates

In the sky, a flock of birds scatter as a massive Earth Empire airship appears, cutting through the air, close to the ground. Kuvira's airship rounds the bend in the distance, steering towards the city. As the ship advances, a guard at the guard post, sees the airship, turns around and rushes towards the radio, picking it up and speaking urgently.

"We have an emergency!" The guard exclaims.

As a train runs through the tunnel, Su faces away from the train window. Her twin sons are with her as Baatar walks up to her, grasping a bar for balance.

"I'll contact President Raiko. He'll send the United Forces." Baatar tells his wife. The Train emerges from the tunnel, the four of them looking into the distance, looking at Kuvira's army which is massed in the valley.

"Call whomever you want, but they'll never make it in time." Su says, standing up and looking at the army. "Kuvira's already here and she brought her entire army."

In another train, Baatar Jr stands in front of a map of the Earth Kingdom, he fixes his cufflinks before turning and joins Kuvira at the window. They look out at the world flying by as the train moves through the countryside.

"By this time tomorrow, my mother will have signed the treaty, and the Earth Empire will finally be united." Baatar tells his fiancé.

"Don't get ahead of yourself. Securing your hometown won't be like every other city." Kuvira walks over to the map, leaving Baatar at the window.

"Zaofu stopped being my home long ago. I'm ready to take it by force." Baatar turns towards Kuvira, speaking bitterly.

"No. The eyes of the world are on us now. We must do this right. That's why we need Bolin." Kuvira says.

"Do you really think we can rely on him?" Baatar asks.

"Su trusts him. She'll listen to him." Kuvira turns back towards the map.

In the sky, Pepper flies through the air. Jinora pilots the bison while the girls, Ikki and Meelo sit back in the saddle.

"Are you sure we should be going to Zaofu? Dad wanted us to bring you three back to Republic City." Jinora asks the girls.

"If Kuvira's heading to Zaofu, so are we. She needs to know that the Avatar is back." Korra answers, looking away from everyone, holding on to her girlfriends hand. "The world needs to know." Meelo jumps to his feet as Kamira and Lila give each other weary looks.

"Woo-hoo! Avatar fight! This is going to be awesome!" Meelo shouts.

"Meelo, there's not gonna be a fight. Kuvira saved my dad. She was a captain in Su's guard; I think she can be reasoned with." Korra informs the boy, who quickly grows disappointed.

"What? No fight? Why did we go through all that trouble to save you if you're not going to beat someone up?"

In Republic City prison, Asami sits at a table, looking down at unopened letters, before a voice breaks the silence she is in.

"Asami, you came." Hiroshi pulls out the chair opposite his daughter and sits. A moment of silence passes between them.

"I came to return these." Asami tells him, pushing the stack of letters across the table towards him.

"You never opened them." Hiroshi points out, looking at the letters, saddened.

"Stop writing me. I never want to see or hear from you again." Asami says, rising to leave.

"Please, just let me say one thing, then I'll never contact you again." Hiroshi says desperately. Asami stands still for a moment, then sits back down, not looking at her father. "I can't forgive myself for all the horrible things I've done. And I never expect you to forgive me. I tore our family apart, and destroyed our good name. But in a life of regret, you're the one thing I look back on that makes me smile. I just want you to know I'm so proud of you, Asami. You are the greatest thing I ever created."