Chapter 158: Defying The Earth

Back in Tiliac, Aster and Julia stood face to face with the burly ginger man. "So do we get to know the name of our opponent or not?", he asks, trying to be intimidating. "I am known simply as Vanian, but names aren't necessary when I'm going to take your life...", replied the man. A pale green glow grew around him as his hand reached toward the ground to control it once more as he did when the pair were awoken.

"You're mine!", snarled Aster, pointing his dagger. Vanian charged at him, raising the ground as he walked. "The power of the Earth is sure to teach you a lesson!", he remarked. Once he stood directly in front of Aster, Vanian formed two huge boulders, the size of two men. "You would dare do this to me?!", raged Aster. "We don't take intruders lightly in this clan!", exclaimed Vanian, attempting to knock the boy over. However, Julia was quick to dodge the burly man's attack by stopping it in its tracks

"Impressive!", enthused Vanian, amazed at her ability to stop objects in their tracks. "Seems this fight is going to be more difficult than I thought...", he then remarked. Aster transformed his dagger into a long claymore, now bolting the boulders in Vanian's direction. "You're just a filthy follower, Julia and I can easily beat you!", he chuckled, walking up to Vanian. His dagger hit Vanian's boulders with force, enough to knock the man to the ground. Julia stood back to back with Aster, weapon in hand and prepared for any attack.

"His technique involves a lot of power to get the precision I've seen, reminds me of Rou back in the syndicate. Could this be what could've happened in that duel all those months ago if I were an intruder?", thought Aster. However, his distraction meant he was unable to foresee Vanian opening up the ground around him. "Watch out Aster!", Julia asserted. She stopped the ground from moving, but she and Aster found it difficult to balance with the crack beneath them.

"You're both very effective team players, but don't think I'm at all exhausted yet!", Vanian expressed. Aster and Julia jumped the crack and began charging their opponent to catch him off guard, but Vanian raised up the ground beneath both of them. "You're crafty, aren't you Vanian? I can't stop any of your attacks from up here...", Julia stated. "There's still one way we can get out of this...", said Aster, reassuring Julia.

"So Vanian, this what you higher ups do to all your victims?", he taunted. "I'm not giving away my title, being weak should be your only concern!", Vanian countered. "We're very evenly matched thank you very much, there are two of us and one of you and these platforms are nothing!", Julia expressed. Aster raised up his sword as it transformed into three throwing knives, putting a finger to his lips, he signalled Julia to remain silent as he threw her one of the knives. Stopping it with her ability, Julia grabbed it.

Aster focused his eye clearly on Vanian and threw the first knife, but it missed tge man by an inch. Slightly frustrated, he tried again, his grip less restricted to get the best reach. Making more of an effort to hit him, he threw the second knife, barely grazing his back. However, this got his attention. "What are you trying to do, boy?", Vanian enquired. He turned around and noticed the two knives behind him. "This was your doing, wasn't it?", he scowled.

"What do you mean, my doing?", Aster had to distract Vanian as much as he could so he wasn't paying attention to Julia. "You're such a coward, putting up here instead of fighting us head on. Vanian began to get frustrated, but before he could attack Aster, Julia's knife stabbed him in the back. With Vanian no longer holding them up, the platforms lowered down, cracking as they descended. Aster and Julia were careful to jump down at the right moment.

While Vanian was still down Aster picked up all three knives and transformed it into a ball and chain, "You know, Vanian, you look like you could use more than what you're getting.", he swung his newly formed weapon causing the depressed platform to smash into smaller pieces. He picked, swallowing them whole. "Are you mad?", questioned Julia. "Not at all.", said Aster. He raised his ball and chain in the air, "Stone Forme!", he declared. The ball and chain materialised into stone, as Aster continued smirking. "You ready to fight stone with stone?", he asked Vanian. "More than ready.", the ginger haired man responded.