Chapter 173: Forever Selfish

TW: Major character death, choking

Further across the vast building, Vox, Lin and Kiara gathered in the master bedroom. As the fae smiled at them, his subordinates found it difficult to steady themselves they were so anxious. Lin in particular felt a rare chill down his spine, as if the agony of punishment was coming his way. Even though he kept an eye on the nearest weapon in the room, there was a hesitation in his movement. The harsh truth was he didn't know what Vox could do. "Sir, is there any reason you interrupted me back there?", he asked, trying to be stern.

His next words were met with confusion. "Sir? You're surely not respecting authority now young Lin? What could you need? It's all been taken care of. ", Vox responded, before catching on. Kiara looked at him with incredulous eyes, what on earth was he thinking? She clutched Lin's hand as Vox continued this wavering interrogation.
The authoritative look was replaced by a grin that was painful to lay eyes on, "So, did you enjoy getting what you wanted?", he pondered to Lin with much eagerness.

"I suppose it was exhilarating, like I had free reign for any sick action within my desire...", reflected Lin. Vox cracked his knuckles, "You were rather full of yourself assuming you'd receive equal power in our agreement, and I was a fool thinking it would be or worth considering...". Lin didn't ease at all, only holding his partner's hand tighter, "What does this mean?", he asked. Vox kept his mouth, so vague, yet showing no sign of feeling a thing, no sign of deliberance, it put the pair on edge, in the firm grip of their superior.

"I need to preface something...", continued the fae with an indiscernible look in his eye. Lin felt a premonition from his side, in the spot where her senses had had nowhere to go, something was there. "I'm going to make you very uncomfortable young man, but I'm going to get things off my chest. I don't know what it will do, or who it might affect, but I will be truthful. I have done certain things I'm not proud of, not something I should have taken pride in, but surely you can see in your heart that it's an action I need to take...".

"Just tell me what you're going to do!", Lin got up from his seat. If there was a second that made the fae flinch, he wasn't showing it. "You know what I'm going to do.", corrected the consigliere. "I'm going to...", Vox stopped before breaking into a fit of laughter. "You're killin' me Lin! So serious, and for what? The fate of your life? Surely you'd know that doesn't matter anymore!", he replied. Lin, over the years had grown to love the friend he'd made, but seeing this side of him really made him question his intelligence. How could he not see this coming?

Kiara got up from her seat, jeering at Vox. "Lin did his best in that battle, surely you'd accept that! Look at him, he's attending this meeting, frostbite and all!", she protested. Lin smiled and winked at his comrade, "Thanks Kiara, seems you're more loyal than I thought.", he stated, taking in the complement while somehow still being the rudest in the room. Vox chuckled again, "Oh Lin and Kiara, you can't even comprehend the future of my plans. We're advancing from mere combat and I'm afraid neither of you would be able to catch up...".

The fae had a long creepy laugh, his face fading from being relatively amiable and carefree, to one of the worst disfiguring sicknesses Lin, nor Kiara had ever seen. Even his eyes showed no sign of emotions, yet it still struck fear in the pair. A foul stench started to loom in the air of the room, and the man and woman choked in the stale environment, yet Vox still stood, still smiling even after his two highest officers showed undeniable disdain toward him.

"I'm not dying yet!", Lin screamed, coughing while hopelessly trying to escape. Kiara was in a less affected area, "Kiara, help me", Lin wheezed. The red haired man turned to her, then back at the door, selfishly taking another step towards Vox, trying to attack as his body weakened. "Lin, get out of there!!!", Kiara screamed. "NEVER!!!", yelled Lin. Kiara saw no other options and dashed for the door.

"Selfish til the bitter end, what a shame...", remarked Vox, taking a slow walk to the door, towards Lin's pitiful state. "Semms even Kiara has no use for you...", he taunted, stepping on the man's hand. "Vox...wait...", uttered Lin faintly. He received no answer, no gratification, just a shutting of the door by his once most enthusiastic supporter. As the light faded from his eyes, he thought of his cause, how he got here, but never of others...