Chapter 162: His Missing Piece

Within the mansion, Rou had taken Demitris to his room for safety. "Thank God, I can protect us both here.", remarked the blue haired man. "I'm so sorry I caused you this much trouble, I was cornered and...", Demitris was interrupted by Rou, "That's not the case, I should've been less self absorbed, then it never would've happened...", he muttered.

"Rou, you don't have to worry about a thing, I know you've been unstable lately and that you're trying to control it.", Demitris reassured. Rou rubbed his temples, "As much as I try, I keep having outbursts, even at night I'm not safe, the ice wall is evident of that. I just wish there was something to relieve the pain, the pain that I'll forever be irrational by day and hearing this voice in my head of a person I knew by night, it's all too much...", he sighed, as he fell into a chair. Demitris sighed, "That's all I know about what's happening to me..."

Due to sheer uncertainty, Demitris shed a tear, "It all seems unbearable, I wish I could fix it, but the jumbled mess keeps piling up and it always seems like there's nothing you can do about it...", he stated with sorrow. "That's what I'm afraid of", acknowledged Rou with a tired voice.

"I don't know how to help you, but... please just take one day at a time", Demitris advised. Rou looked at Demitris with the same plea as he had once given Kakei, but he didn't have an answer.

Demitris tried to look at the ground as he replied, "Just do me a favour and promise me you'll try to find a way to understand what's going on and learn how to control it. My ability was unpredictable, it took time to control, but it was you that really helped me realise that I wasn't a monster, that though I was built for crime, it doesn't mean I'm incapable of fighting for good. Take your own advice, Rou.". The men looked up at each other, trying to smile, but struggling under the shear stress both of them were in.

The pair looked through the window, up at the moon in the sky. Its rays illuminated Rou's deep green eyes. Demitris tried to look away, but couldn't take his eyes off his capo. "Is now the right time?", he thought, tracing his hands through his auburn hair. Rou turned to Demitris, "Looking at the sky sometimes reassures me that things could turn out for the better, the stars represent memories. I think about a very special person, I lost him three years ago, but I like to think that he'll live on among the stars in the vast night sky.", he explained.

"The morning sun symbolized new beginnings for me until it affected you, now it just fills me with worry...", Demitris responded with the same thought. "I believe that one day it will be dawning for me too instead of causing me so much pain. One day, I'll have relief, something worth living for.", Rou responded solemnly. Demitris stared into Rou's deep green eyes. "I hope so", he whispered. Rou quickly broke the gaze, shifting his gaze back to the windows. "It can only get better from here, it has to.", he said with much emphasis.

"Relief is what you needed, wasn't it? How do you imagine it?", asked Demitris, gently placing his hand on Rou's knee. Rou pondered for a while before answering him, "I guess I imagine it as feeling safe in something, or someone...", he said, looking up at the sky once more. "You miss him, don't you?", inferred Demitris. "I know", answered Rou with a resolute look. "I feel his presence from the sky...and the moon. But is it him, or simply the idea of the comfort he gave me three years ago? Each day I question it more...".

"Your mind's not right", responded Demitris, as Rou nodded. "I hope one day you can understand that you can and will be happy again...", he paused. "I'm willing to do whatever it takes to help you, Rou. I'm happy to be the relief you need...", Demitris added as he watched Rou for a few moments. "I know", replied Rou, unable to say more. Demitris reached toward the chair and gently wrapped his arm around Rou's quivering body.

"I care about you, Rou.", Demitris reassured Rou. He hugged Rou close. "What would I do without you?", he said, hugging him tighter, his eyes started to tear up. Rou released his grip around Demitris, smiling through his tears. Both men looked into each other's eyes, "We can work this out, I know we will.", Demitris declared, pulling Rou into yet another embrace. "Stay with me, Demitris. Whatever it takes.", said Rou with conviction. "Always.", responded Demitris.

The two remained in that embrace for a few moments, clinging to each other for warmth. "Even if I lose control when the morning comes, just know that what I feel for you is stronger than any bad condition I'm in.", said Rou, climbing out of his chair and onto the bed with Demitris. "That's the best we can do.", Demitris added, clutching his capo. Without a word, both men lied down and looked up at the night sky, closing their eyes and falling asleep in each other's arms.