Chapter 180: Read All About It

Aster, Fleur and Demitris were anxious, no one had a clue of what creature was ahead of them. Only suspicions and blind assumptions. "Quick! Think of something!", shouted Aster. Neither Fleur, nor Demitris has seen him this jittery before, something had happened when they were apart and they couldn't fathom the depth of things he had seen. "I'll hold him off until we think of something, we can't stop fighting...", Fleur expressed, her sword at the ready. "Demitris, have you any ideas?", Aster then asked. The one eyed man was slightly shaken, how could he figure something out?

He had never fought like these before! "Well, I...I haven't seen these creatures in real life, but I read about them in books, I didn't think they existed!", he said nervously, backing away from the approaching Lin. The young soldier walked backward toward his friends, his hands in front of him to defend himself if needed, Fleur came to join him. "What are you thinking, Demitris?", she asked. He cleared his throat, "If my assumption is correct, we're in big trouble, but I think Lin is a human puppet...".

The trio backed away slowly while keeping a watchful eye on their opponent. "So, you think this human puppet could hurt us?", asked Aster as he prepared to engage his enemy once more. "Not only might this puppet do that, he also might be able to kill anyone that's standing in his way.", added Demitris. "So, we're just supposed to let him walk all over us?", asked Fleur angrily. "No!", answered Demitris. "There is a way to defeat him, but it's hard to pull off...", the cherry haired man explained. "We have to overwhelm him with his own power...".

"It's either that or get killed.", stated Aster. The four of them were in position, poised and ready to attack at any time. However, before Aster could speak, Lin lunged at the four of them. They scattered quickly to dodge the onslaught, but Lin caught both Fleur and Demitris. The two fighters attempted to strike at him, but were pushed back against the wall. As they retreated, Lin continued his assault on Fleur, sending kicks and punches in every direction. Demitris rushed in front of his comrade to defend her, "You can't take him on, not yet!", she cried out.

Aster watched as his friends were put in a predicament, "Fleur! Demitris! I'll do what I can to set you free, don't move a muscle!", he announced. The puppet turned only his head to stare at the determined boy, "Intruder...", its distorted vocal chords called out. "Be careful, Aster!", said Demitris. Fleur took him by the shoulder, "Demitris, don't fret, I think Aster has exactly what we need. You said Lin needed to be overwhelmed with his own ability? Observe.".

After inspecting Lin, Aster becokened to him. "So, puppet...are you going to attack me or are you weaker than your delusional brother, Rou?", he questioned, jabbing into everything Lin used to stand for. "He's so reckless! How could he do this?!", exclaimed Demitris. Fleur remained calm, "Keep watching.", she ordered her subordinate. Within seconds, Lin was rushing at Aster, flames . Aster didn't flinch, he simply raised his sword and opened his mouth.

"Fire forme!", he yelled at the top of his lungs. Suddenly, his sword blazed with the same flames of his opponent. "How's this for an easy fight?!", he enthused. Fleur and Demitris ran back into the battlefield with a new faith in this fight, "We'll help you weaken him!", Demitris remarked. "Whatever Vox is planning with these puppets, we need to find out!", reflected Fleur. The trio circled Lin, he couldn't do anything to escape their grasp. he puppet had nowhere to go, his days were numbered.

"You will die today Lin, and you should know you cannot keep fighting this long!", Aster stated, raising his sword high in the air. "Let's end this now!", Lin roared, and lunged at Aster, swinging his blade. The boy once known as intruder parried his strikes easily, destroying his woodlike flesh with his own flames. As much as Lin tried to burn through the pain, nothing could be done, especially with Fleur with her refined swordsmanship, and Demitris, with the ability to decay his opponent's whole body if he wanted, getting their attacks in as well. They could smell the victory roasting before their noses.

The fighters grew serious, giving numerous blows, the puppet doing nothing to stop them. Eventually, Lin perished, burning to ashes and leaving nothing but rubble. Aster stood there proudly as he gazed down at his fallen foe, smiling widely. He then walked up to Fleur and Demitris and patted their backs affectionately. "I think for once, I feel at peace, optimistic about what's to come.", he commented upon what just happened. "As much as I'd hate to admit it, I agree with you, Aster.", added Demitris. "I hope we can take him on...", Fleur expressed, looking at both males with slightly more hesitance, but happy all the same. The trio peered into the corridor, ready for anything, but was their positive sentiment going to last?".