Chapter 165: Empathetic Realisation

Meanwhile, in the glades of Tiliac, Aster, Julia and Vanian reached a crossroad. "Rather tiring walking all these miles, don't you think Aster?", Vanian remarked. "I...can...carry on...", insisted Aster, dragging himself across the ground. Julia stopped him in his tracks, "Aster, we need to rest. Surely your friends in the other world would be doing the same.", she commented. "I suppose I could rest...", replied Aster reluctantly.

After all this time, Aster hadn't slept a wink. Interruption after interruption plagued him, not to mention all the treacherous missions he did in the syndicate beforehand. Vanian pointed out a hole in the ground, "Seems like a pod would have to do for tonight.", he stated. Aster remembered that pods were what travelling soldiers slept in before he was transported. "Back when I was in the clan, I dreaded having to sleep in one of these, but now it seems like the most comfortable place in the world...", he said, before he and his team fell soundly asleep.

Hours passed, and the trio remained passed out within the pit, when suddenly, Aster started to hear a faint tapping, slowly getting more intense with each passing second. Then, he heard a whistling from above. He wanted to wake up Julia and Vanian, but surely this was a dream, it would be stupid to disturb them. He opened one eye in curiosity as the sound grew more and more annoying. Finally, the culprit called out, "Wakey Wakey sleepy heads!".

"What's the matter?", inquired Aster as he started to wake up. Julia and Vanian started to rise as well, "What is the meaning of this? Who disturbs us this early?!", commented a ticked off Julia. "Go away, early risers suck!", groaned Aster. "It's mid afternoon, and I'm lonely!", declared the insistent person. "Who are you?", inquired Aster. "I am Enzo, and I haven't seen you before.", explained the young man with cyan hair, showing off his razor sharp teeth. "Any reason why you're sleeping with my superior? ", he questioned.

"Get your mind out of the gutter, do I look like I did this voluntarily?.", Aster pondered. "If not you, the woman, why's she leaning in close to him?", replied Enzo. Aster smirked, "So you're telling me you're the gingernut's subordinate and you think Julia would do bad stuff with him? Classic!". As Aster continued to laugh at the man, Julia awoke, "You're mistaken, I didn't sleep with these men voluntarily either.", she informed. "How can I be sure you're not lying?", he asked her in response.

"Because I was the one who suggested we sleep here.", Vanian had woke up, and desired to set him straight. "Why does this matter anyway?", Aster added. "Hey! Don't think that! I value Vanian's opinion, he's the only clan head I trust!", Enzo stubbornly shouted. "Sorry, you're not worth my time...", Aster was too exhausted to bother, but Vanian pulled him back, I think we should all hear him out." They all sat down and prepared to listen to this boy.

Back in the mansion, Demitris laid in bed, stroking Rou's hair. "Rou...you awake?", he said faintly, longing to be in his arms once more. "Yes...I was just...thinking..." replied the capo, turning away from him. Demitris felt like he could sense Rou's pain, he wanted to hold him close, but he didn't want to push him away again. He couldn't bear it, but he knew the depression was highly debilitating and wouldn't go away immediately.

"So...what are you thinking about?", he asked him gently. "I was just thinking about...my actions yesterday..." Rou stopped, and wiped his eyes. "I get it, you feel guilty, it's natural to be like that. You're strong, recognising your wrongdoings, and wanting to put them right...", replied Demitris. "Yeah...that's the key.", Rou whispered. Demitris's heart raced, he stopped breathing for a second. Demitris looked into Rou's eyes, and reached in to hug him, to which Rou reciprocated. As the men tried to lean in for a kiss, someone barged through the door.

"How's it going?", the voice at the door greeted. "What brings you to my room? Can't you see I'm occupied right now", the blue haired man groaned. Demitris peered up at the guest, it was Catoria. "Ah Rou, I finally found you, after the ruckus earlier I had to speak to you, but it seems you've been bewitched.", she insisted. "I-it's not like that", Demitris objected, blushing a bright crimson.

"Well, if you're not doing that, aren't you both going to make small talk with me?", she remarked. "Why would we do that? You're scolding us as soon as you walked through the door!", he reminded her. "Demitris, just leave it to me, it seems important.", Rou muttered. "If you must know, it's about the ice wall, there has to be something going on.", she recounted. Demitris crossed his arms. "Just leave Rou be, and don't harm him. That's all I ask.".

Catoria sighed, "You really love him, don't you?", she inquired. "Y-Yeah, with all my heart...", admitted Demitris, Rou began to blush as well. Catoria thought back to her own life, how much was done in the heat of the moment, instead of with genuine feelings. She had no empathy for this boy before, but now she could see he wasn't a curse, out of pure instinct she pulled Demitris into a hug. "I haven't been in your life all these years and have no idea what you're going through, but I hope you succeed in your romantic endeavours. Just don't over exert yourself, alright?", Catoria advised.

"W-we'll try...", said Rou in a very flustered manner. The succubus whispered one last instruction in Demitris's ear, "Give Rou strength in knowing he can truly love a man like you, nothing superficial like sex and drugs, just pure and true love, it's something I can never experience...". As Demitris waved Catoria goodbye, he thought about what dangers Rou could face in the future, but this time he was sure he could fight them with him.