Chapter 193: Twist Of Fate

Finally, a relieving silence filled the air, broken only by a soft breeze blowing across the battlefield. Everyone looked towards Aster with surprise, wondering what his reaction would be. He turned to Fleur, who seemed as perplexed as he was, "That...wasn't easy...". Fleur nodded and took a few steps forward, "Aster, you're bleeding!", Aster blinked. It was true, a drop of stinging blood rolled down his aching cheek. But his eyes were set ahead, looking straight at Demitris, wondering if there was something, anything he could do.

At the sight of the wounded boy, Fleur rushed over to him and took him in her embrace, holding him closely against her chest. "I'm so sorry...I'm so so sorry I couldn't help you!", sobbed the elf. In her arms, the human boy felt a sense of peace wash over him. He relaxed in Fleur's hold, not allowing the last of his consciousness to drift away just yet as he stared into her green eyes that last thier colour with each second of fate setting in. "I'm in so much pain...", his voice grew quiet. Inevitability was coming too soon.

Fleur shook her head, "Never again will I let you feel...never again will you suffer...", she promised. In an instant she drew her sword, tear welling her eyes. The group gathered in disillusionment around her as Fleur held her sword in front of her, the blade glowing brightly with the small amount of light that the grey clouds the Gods gave them allowed. Everyone was waiting for the final strike, the final sacrifice that ends the internal wars within them.

Suddenly, a hand got in her way just as she was about to strike, a single opposer to this noble death, and there they were, Rou's trembling fingers. The elf girl stopped, staring into her friends eyes, her presence darkened with despair. The blue haired man's voice cracked as he too cried endless tears, "Fleur, you don't have to do this. You wouldn't be able to live with yourself...", he begged. Fleur gave him a glance that wasn't annoyed, but simply empathetic, "I know...but it's what needs to be done, for dignity, and no one else can do this but me...".

"Fleur, wait!", a voice shouted from the observing group. Fleur turned to see Edward approaching, "Sir...", she breathed, yet refused to be relieved. "Aster doesn't have to die...". His statement caused a ripple of shock among everyone, especially his daughter. Kneeling down at the dying boy's side, his eyes glowed with the light of a thousand candles. This time, it wasn't purple, but a blinding lime green. "Sir Edward, what are you doing?!", Fleur trembled. No words came out of the boss's mouth, just heavy breathing.

"You need to understand the value of a life, your use in this world...", Edward shuddered, now gritting his teeth uncontrollably. Beyond the trio waiting anxiously for answers, Viper and Sulena were shook with both fear and awe. "Has this happened before?", the spider lady asked the witch. Viper nodded, but still wearily stayed a safe distance. "Not for 10 years, before I even joined the syndicate...".

"I-I can't take it, just kill me!", Aster yelled as loudly as his condition allowed him. A booming voice shouted back, "You are too valuable to suffer!". Edward edged closer to the boy once more until he was breathing down his neck. "Time to show what you're truly made of...", he scowled. For the first time, Fleur cowered before her father, his primal vampiric nature on full display as Palette foretold. Edward opened his mouth as wide as he could, before biting Aster with his clamping fangs on his neck.

In a flash, Aster fell unconscious, his eyes rolling back in his head. Blood spewed forth from his mouth, spraying onto Fleur and her companions. Kneeling close, she reached out her hand, placing it above the wound as she realised what was going on. "Don't worry...you'll be alright...", she reassured him. There was a minute of silence as Fleur held Aster, hoping and praying for changes. A moment later, like a spirit rising from the dead, Aster stood before the group, completely healed.

Demitris rushed over to his best friend and spun him in a circle before Fleur could lay a finger on him." So you're okay then?", his enthusiasm shone through, with undying hopes that things would go back to the accepting environment he remembered, but all that hope was lost when Aster opened his eyes to reveal not gray, but illusive jade green eyes. A mirror was passed to the black haired boy, and he instantly broke into tears.

"Y-you turned me?!", the boy exclaimed, unable to believe the form he had taken. "It was a last resort, you couldn't die...", replied the vampire. "Oh I see", sighed Aster sarcastically, "But it was still a horrible plan!", the boy growled, glaring at him. Edward pulled him back and confessed, "There's something I haven't been telling you all, and it must be addressed...". A smile tugged at his lips as he gazed into her eyes. "I've neglected the youngsters in this Syndicate, and for years I thought it impossible for you to be released, but recently I've learned of something drastic...".