Chapter 160: Gaining Respect

Meanwhile, Aster, Julia and Vanian's mutual determination was at full throttle. "You say you can copy my ability with your so-called 'Earth Forme'?", questioned Vanian, rolling a boulder over to Aster. "I believe I can.", responded Aster, breaking the boulder in two as Julia stopped them. "I don't know what you're planning to do with that weapon manipulation technique of yours, but I know that you're sure to win.", whispered Julia.

"Patience slipping already Vanian?", asked Aster with an infuriating cocky shell. He smirked as he broke a second boulder in two. "Should I let you live or give a victory to myself I wonder?". Julia held him back, "If you can avoid death at all costs, it could lead to something worse later on.", she advised him. Aster glanced back at his companion, "Okay then, incapacitating it is then!", he answered in response to her. "That seems reasonable, I'll do whatever you say in order to fight him, Julia informed him. "Good to know responded Aster.

The black haired boy whispered in Julia's ear what his plan was and she nodded in agreement, Vanian's face progressively got more tense with frustration. Finally, after 30 seconds, the pair had lined up at either side of him, weapons drawn. "Such cheats...", Vanian let out a sigh. "Yet, you've been driving me insane with your persistence.", Vanian let's his hands out ready to create a solid wall on either side, but both of his opponents still remained persistent, charging right at him

When Julia gave the signal Aster began hacking at the wall, "Believe me, there was no such thing as my ability in this world until I came onto the. I was born with a mutation, but the higher ups never let me use it, ripping my mother from my arms at a young age for suspicion of treason against the state. I rebelled, almost mastering my skills, but your superiors never let me be different. You were lucky to be born in a family with such a privilege to use your ability freely, not only because you're a captain, but because they can market off your simplistic techniques!".

Vanian's eyes widened in realisation, but he refused to accept it. Was he being deluded by the higher ups? Was he simply complacent? He felt as his mental fortitude rapidly decreased, only having the capacity for defense. Stone wall after stone wall was broken as genuine fear began to grow within Vanian. He couldn't do anything more to stop his opponents. "Stop!!!", he yelled at the top of his voice, causing Aster to drop his weapon.

"This some sort of ploy?! ", yelled Aster. Vanian raised his hand, "I surrender...", he shuddered. "What?", replied a surprised Aster. "Hear him out, see what he has to say.", Julia requested. He was skeptical, if this were an act, he'd be worthy of an award. The black haired boy had never seen a Tiliac higher up surrender in front of him before. "I surrender!", repeated Vanian, this time with a sense of determination. "You surrender?", questioned Aster. "It seems your weakness has set in, Vanian, we scum have won.", remarked Julia.

"Are you sure you're a higher up of the Tiliac clan? You seem far too cowardly for that.", commented Aster. "Forgive me, but there's something about both of you that I simply cannot defend myself against.", clarified Vanian. Julia remembered the jaded look in his eyes at the beginning of the battle, "If you are as powerful as you say, you would never surrender in such a manner", she prefaced. "You have to understand that if I was in my right mind, I would've rebelled, just like your friend did a few months ago.", Vanian emphasised.

Vanian was no leader, no important figure in particular, but he left a scorn on both Aster and Julia with the mere thought that he was in league with the men who banished them in the first place. Aster and Julia looked at each other, were their biases stopping them from accepting Vanian's surrender? They didn't want to overstep their own bounds, but the more they both thought of it, suddenly it made sense. Until now, the moment he surrendered, Vanian had never realised the pain of the so-called scum he reared into fighters.

"I accept your surrender, Vanian.", Aster said sincerely. Dropping his weapon, Aster took Vanian's hand and shook it. Julia was unsure at first, glancing at her amputated arm she felt a little worried about what Vanian's real intentions were. "It takes a lot of time to realise your true opinions, not influenced by anyone else , and thanks to you, I can see more clearly. The corrupt fog around this land needs to be dissipated.", declared Vanian, now smiling.

After some thought during Vanian's speech, Julia also dropped her sword on the ground. "I may be skeptical of you. Who wouldn't be if you were linked to the decision to chop off my forearm and send me out into the wilderness, but I'm optimistic you've changed, Vanian.", she declared. "What's your plan now then?", enquired Aster. "I guess I need to go back to base.", answered Vanian. "Would you like to come with me?", he then asked Aster. "We'd love you to.", Julia responded.

"This journey that we're on is very important, just remember that.", Julia explained. Vanian nodded, "I understand, you're both very brave, Aster and Julia.", he stated in solidarity. The ginger man began to walk with them, "Aster, somehow I knew I'd see you again after what went on in the other squad, not so tragic hero!", he enthused. Aster Julia both smiled as they followed along with him, "I hope this land improves in some time...", Aster thought to himself. It was now time to once again continue his journey.