Chapter 181: Had He Not Known

Meanwhile, within the faded room downstairs, Rou was still trying to prove himself to the rebels. Despite all the doubts and concerns that clouded his mind, he refused to leave the girl alone, regardless of the risks. "We're wasting our time, you know that, right?", whispered Viper quietly. Craaq urged the witch to remain silent, "Shh, I think this Rou is different, he's not uneasy at all, just observe him and trust me.".

Viper was about to protest, but her words fell apart the moment Rou turned away from them, "Just come with us, I'll help you...". The group felt many emotions, uneasiness, anger, even confirmation. His speech was short and sweet, something most of the others would have suspected from him in these times. The tension began to fade away, all traces of their suspicion vanished. They were left speechless, and somewhat relieved.

"Alright, we'll trust you, if that's really what you want.", Viper said, still slightly uneasy. Rou offered his hand, but Kiara turned away in fear. "Please don't freeze me!", she begged. "I'm going to try to help you, alright?", assured Rou, hoping to convince her. He placed a finger under her chin as she looked back at him; Kiara stared deep into his eyes, searching for something within them to tell him that this wasn't some sick joke. Rou smiled gently at her, "I promise, I won't hurt you...".

Kiara couldn't comprehend his kindness, fathom his gentle nature, it wasn't what she knew. Rou was far from the heartless, delusional killer Lin told her about, she believed that he wouldn't harm anybody if he had a choice. Even the worst people could change; maybe it would've been better to give Rou a chance. Perhaps the world would have been better without him. After all, he was a murderer and no good person in the first place. Still, she didn't know how to react, refusing to give into his request.

Rou sighed and removed his hand from her face, he didn't want to make Kiara uncomfortable. There had to be another way to convince her, and he knew just the thing; it wasn't as though words were going to break through years of lies about him. Why should she believe anything Rou told her? "Come, we'll talk outside", the blue haired man offered. "Are you sure we should let him do this?", Viper whispered to Sulena. The spider lady took her by the shoulders, "I sense he knows exactly what to do, he doesn't seem like he has mal intent at all...".

Sulena was right, as Rou led Kiara into the hallway leading to the balcony, "It looks like we'll be having a little chat.", Rou commented. He opened the glass door and stepped onto the balcony; Kiara followed soon after. The two sat facing each other, neither of them speaking a word. Rou waited patiently for his new acquaintance to initiate the conversation herself. He was patient because he didn't care who she chose to talk to him with. He wanted her to speak to him and hear what she had to say. If she did want to talk, he would listen.

Finally, Kiara spoke up. "Why are you helping me?" she blurted. She expected the question to be harsh, cruel, anything but that simple phrase that sounded so sincere in its delivery. She had expected a lie, but instead of one, a genuine answer was provided. "Because I think it's best if you see both perspectives. To you, Lin is good and could do no wrong, but to me...". Kiara started sobbing uncontrollably at the mention of Lin and leaned forward to hide her face. "It might be hard for you to hear, but Lin is dead...", she blubbered. Despite his resentment for his brother, Rou felt a tear fall down his cheek, "I think I know just what you need...", he murmured, trying to put her emotions first.

Queitly, he turned into the room adjacent to them, Kiara couldn't bear to be apart from him, as much as she'd hate to admit it, his demeanour reminded her of Lin when they first met. She painfully waited for the young man to emerge, and when he did, she noticed something in his hand that all made sense. Rou had brought his lute with him. "It reminds me of the one Lin used to play...", she reflected. Rou looked past the comment about her brother and began to play, "I think what you need is to know that Lin cared, and I'm sure he did to an extent. This song is how I imagine he'd be feeling, if none of the bad things happened...".

Kiara closed her eyes to shut away any unwanted tears. She needed to stay strong for her former lover's sake. However, even as Rou played the melody, sung his refrain, all she could think about was Lin. When Rou approached the instrumental part, and she vented her thoughts, "Shortly after Lin left the village, we used to go in the woods and he'd play me songs . It's like his way of trying to cheer me up and make me feel better...," the crying woman explained as she listened intently. "I think this helps us both...", Rou managed to choke out, he began to sing the next part.

For the first time in months, Kiara felt comfort, but more than anything, she felt free. Like Lin's music, his words, and his songs could lift every dark burden she ever held inside her. As the song continued, her feelings of isolation, doubt, and sadness were gone completely. Rou finished his song, "If all that he taught you helped, then I am sure it worked too", he concluded. "Thank you...", Kiara replied, wiping away her remaining tears. "There is still something else I must ask of you..", she said, taking another deep breath. "Would you have it in your heart to forgive him?".

Rou was overwhelmed by Kiara's soft touch and warm hug. His heart was filled with guilt and remorse that he had treated such a kind, compassionate girl so cruelly. Yet, despite this, Kiara's eyes glistened with a light which only shone whenever she thought about Lin. It was hard to understand, but it wasn't his place to. Escorting the young elf back to his allies, he smiled. Maybe this is the time he can begin to truly heal, to see that future he only dreamed of having. It was going to be a long process, but he was ready.