Chapter 195: Epilogue

15 years later… 

The morning sun rose from behind the Lowpeak mansion, as its governors headed out to their regular jobs throughout the village. The square was bustling with activity, with the streets filled with merchants and the hustle and bustle of a thriving industry, with everyone residing there a former member of the syndicate, or one of their descendants.  The citizens greeted each other, exchanging pleasantries as well as gossiping excitedly among themselves. But most of all, the workers went about their duties in peace. Every day, Aster and Fleur, Rou and Demitris met in the centre of it all, always in pairs, always with something to say. 

They had made plans in secret to visit Edward in prison the previous night, they'd got so used to it, it was as if they'd forgotten why he was there, or wanted to forget. However, the two couples spent many hours reminiscing, laughing and catching up, and though they had never really spoken about the events a decade and a half ago, as if the pain weighed so much on them that they couldn't get the words to leave their mouths. Even so, they had plenty of topics to use as distractions. 

"So, I hear you two have settled down", Demitris said towards Aster and Fleur. The pair chuckled, holding onto each other's arms,  "You could say that, yes…", said Fleur, "I mean we haven't even gotten married, yet…". Her cheeks flamed red, making Rou laugh, simultaneously grabbing onto Demitris. "Well, in your position, it's not unheard of.", he joked, making both Fleur and Demitris laugh, along with him. Demitris chimed in once more, "Getting married was the last illegal thing Rou ever did.  No matter who we are today, doing little to no crime, I would still choose to marry this man."He wrapped both his arms tightly around Rou, kissing his forehead lovingly, which the blue haired man reciprocated. 

Through all this, Aster didn't utter a word, despite revelling in the affection of his wife, he still looked down at his feet, which Fleur quickly noticed. "Aster, you're quiet, is there anything wrong?" , he asked worriedly. "Everything is great, just…", Aster replied, his voice shaky due to nervousness, "Can we talk about this tomorrow?", he whispered. Immediately, Rou frowned, "It must be important, you might as well tell us while we're all gathered here...", he suggested. Aster bowed his head in dread, "If you insist...".

He began, "When the syndicate fell, I actually felt guilty of the crimes I committed...", his voice began to become strained, "Back then, I didn't even notice I was taking lives, but now I'm out, I realise that...", he trailed off, feeling uncomfortable as the truth dawned upon him. Fleur squeezed him tight, reassuring him, "You were just a child, you didn't know any better.". Despite Fleur's best efforts, Aster's mind didn't waver, "My whole life revolved around organised crime, it consumed my very soul, until the man who took me into it in the first place pulled the wool from my eyes once things got too serious…". 

Aster sighed, "I guess we all needed time to heal, it's been a long journey and it still doesn't feel complete, even after Vox fell...". Everyone nodded in agreement, they truly felt terrible for abandoning the others after everything they had done.  Aster was the first to break the silence, "I know it's been hard for you guys, but I hope you'll come to see this as a chance to start a new chapter. We'll figure this out together...all of us".  

After a few moments of solemn reflection, Demitris had a question , "What happened with the others? Those who decided to stay.". As always, Fleur had all the answers, "Well, it's been a few years since I last visited, but our old home's being put to good use, I hear Viper and Sulena started up a coven together, along with Violet from the Renegard syndicate, and Craaq invited the remaining anthro bunnies to live in the vast gardens, I think he's become a better gardener than me!". She giggled, and Aster let out a small chuckle of his own, "Yes, I imagine Craaq would love that". 

A comfortable silence followed, broken only by the sound of chirping birds. It was peaceful, a nice change from the constant noise of the village. Finally, there was peace,  the chaos and tension from the years ago dissipating. They sat quietly amongst the grassy knolls of the town square for a few minutes, each thinking about their personal history, until Fleur stood up and declared, "Well, we're all exhausted from all the excitement tonight, we've got work to do, right?". Aster smiled and responded, "Right.".

As their chat concluded, it was already dawn. The sun hung low in a painted orange sky, illuminating the clouds that surrounded it. Its fleeting warmth reached their village as their thoughts drifted to that  small town and the secluded mansion on the hillside adjacent to it. Within the mansion, a formerly notorious crime syndicate, full of the rebels and rejects of society.

 Within the mansion, a formerly notorious crime syndicate, full of the rebels and rejects of society