Chapter 159: Being Cautious

Miles away from the mansion, Fleur was having her own troubles, now in the middle of twelve clearly hostile people, all out for her blood, not only did she have to stay alive, she was now going to be at the mercy of more people than she'd ever faced before, and she would have to survive. Her single sword didn't feel like enough, but it was all she had, and the pressure was making her sweat.

"Should I call for backup? They're surrounding me!", she muttered to herself. "Tell me your business or you'll have to deal with my entire group!", she announced . Fleur knew she couldn't fight all these people alone, but she could definitely buy time before the others arrived. She drew her sword and stared down every one she could see. 

"Hush, okay?", she heard as a male voice appeared behind her. "I know that this situation is confusing for such a small girl, but it's clear you were brainwashed by those thugs...", he said in a deceiving, yet comforting tone. "Brainwashed?!", Fleur was incredibly confused. Was there something Edward never told her? She pulled upon the man behind her and held a sword to his throat. "I'm not going to listen to what you're saying, you're just trying to get me to crack.", she declared.

Fleur was very afraid, but refused to let that get in her way. The man sighed as his comrades sat around him and Fleur. "They told you that this world is very hostile and you would have to work hard to gain your freedom, committing crimes as if you're a martyr, at least, that's how Lin described it. The name's Patrice, and I follow my superior's word to the letter!", he stated. Fleur knew what he meant, but saw things completely differently. "We have no choice but to commit crimes in order to rebel against people like your boss! I may seem weak, but I can certainly hold you off until my friends arrive!"

The man drew his own weapon, an axe made of pure iron. "Now now, we don't want to murder each other do we? I'm certain that I can kill you before anyone arrives! ", he declared. Fleur was keeping calm, defending herself using her weapon, sword and axe clashing for 10 mins. It was a fair fight and it was clear Fleur had found a good match, but as soon as she found an opening, she sliced him in the chest, leaving blood spurting out in pulses. 

"You've got to be careful with your words, get too reckless and you risk provoking your opponent, guaranteeing your loss.", explained Fleur as she stepped away from the bleeding man. The other anti-crime group members looked in awe when then there was a knock at the door. "Your days are numbered, it seems like help has arrived.", said Fleur. Stepping through the entrance, Viper, Craaq, Shiva and Sulena readied their weapons and abilities, the five against twelve fight was about to begin. 

Back in the mansion, things were going to take a turn when at long last, Edward got out of his bedroom. He glided down the stairs for his usual duties and met with Catoria in her office. "What a wonderful evening! So refreshing to not be lethargic at this time of night!", he enthused. Catoria was a little shocked at the upbeat nature of her boss, she sipped her wine in intrigue. "You seem very lively today, sir.", she remarked. 

"A break is just what I needed, I need to thank Vox immediately.", Edward stated excitedly. Catoria sighed affectionately, "At least your day's been fulfilling, I've been at my desk all day working out shares for every member of the syndicate, I haven't even looked around. Vox and Fleur must've had their hands full, especially after that argument earlier…", the succubus reflected. 

"Vox and Fleur having a disagreement is nothing new, seen it many times over the years.". Pacing toward the back of the office, he relayed what always happened, "No matter how much I try to get them to bond as friends and colleges, it backfires, as if there's an enormous ice wall between them at all…". The boss took a glance at the window and couldn't believe his eyes. "How on Earth?", he was shocked and extremely surprised. "Catoria, you ought to take a gander at this…", he called out to the bruglione. 

"It appears a certain caporegime has gone overboard today…", uttered Catoria. Edward took time to deduce what to do next, "If I wasn't going to already, now's definitely the time to consult Vox, he'll know what to do in these situations. I hope Rou is okay, I shouldn't have taken the day off, it's clear my subordinates need me…", muttered Edward. As the night drew on, the boss was positive on what he needed to do, but was it the right option?