Chapter Seven

Y/n's potion had long since worn off. Her legs felt like they would fall off any moment from how fast and ar she had run. She stopped for a moment to regain her breath, her lungs sucking up any and all air they could get. She had run all night long to get to Scaleswind and was exhausted she needed to find Levin's mother quickly so she could get back home. In the distance, she saw the bright red brick roofs of the village. She let out a sigh of relief, seeing as she had reached the village.

She picked her pace up walking down the cobbled steps of the mountain and onto the gravel pathway of the village. A guard was located at the front of the village and welcomed the girl. She thanked him and asked if he had known anything about a mother missing her child. He had said that she had left the village about a week ago to go and search for her baby boy. Y/n sighed she might as well check the village to see if she could find anything on this woman. 

The guard had mentioned that her name was Matilda and that she was a frequent visitor to the church, so that is the first place she'll go looking. The town was just as beautiful as Y/n had remembered. All the houses had similar designs with their red roofs and white walls. The church stood out from the design. Instead of painted white walls, it's were made out of all stone. It gave the church a sense of character.

Opening the door Y/n entered the empty church all the pews were empty. The priest or minister was standing at the front standing next to a statue of Irena. Y/n did a quick prayer showing her respect in the house of worship. Walking down the aisle she addressed the man.

"Excuse me, have you seen a woman named Matilda recently"

"Matilda? I'm sorry, I have not, child. Maybe you should pray to Lady Irene at this shrine, I'm sure her wisdom will guide you." Y/n hadn't been one for religion but she decided to humor the man.

She kneeled in front of the statue listening as the water poured all around. While kneeling she noticed a small crack in the shrine. There seemed to be a piece of paper stuck in it. Making sure the priest wasn't looking she used her knife to pry it from the crack. The letter read as so:

'Prayer will get you nowhere, Matilda. We know what you did and it won't be long before the town finds out. If you want forgiveness, come to the alley behind the tavern at night. or we will find him'

The letter alarmed Y/n a little as she hid it in her pocket leaving the church. She could now say that Matilda was being hunted down by a group of people for doing Irene knows what. It seemed however that she was searching for forgiveness seeing as she most likely went to the tavern. Putting two and two together Y/n deduced that Matilda had given Levin away to someone seeing as the last line was 'we will find him'.

Arriving at the tavern Y/n walked around to the back. She saw barrels stacked up but nothing too suspicious. Walking around she found that they were hiding what seemed to be a trap door. She pushed the heavy crates off of the door and descended into the hole. It was dark and damp the only source of light in the room being the torches on the wall. Getting down to the floor Y/n looked at the room. A woman with brownish red hair laid in a decrepit cell. Rushing over to the bars separating the woman and her Y/n spoke.

"Matilda?" Matilda was quick to respond.

"Who are you want what do you want?"

"I have your son Levin he's in my village at the moment. I was sent out here to come and find out" Y/n answered pulling out the crystal she had with Levin's image and handing it over. matilda ran her hand over the crystal staring at the image of Levin before looking back at Levin.

"Oh god, why are you here? I can't just...look, listen... If he stays with me he's in trouble. Those evil knights, they'll kill him."

"Why would they kill a child?"