In the human world AU

RPOV
There I stood, in front of the bathroom sink with my phone in one hand and the proof in the other. My thumb hovered over his number as I built up the strength to just call him. He lived not twenty minutes away for Christ's sake! I had never been so scared of a phone call before. After all it has been a month. All sorts of doubts and questions were going through my head.

Will he believe me? Will he want to be involved? Will he care? If he believes will he ever want to take him or her away from me?
He, like me, was a teacher. He'd even been my teacher a handful of years ago so I knew how morally driven he was. So surely he'd stay? Surely he'd want to raise the child I knew he'd been wanting for years?

And in case you're wondering, yes I'd been interested in him when I was a senior. And I was pretty certain that he had been too, because of the way he had favoured and protected me, despite his being married. Tasha had been unable to give him kids in the end, and by a month before graduation, they'd been divorced and he'd turned to me.

I was certain he was wallowing in self-loathing and self-pity and self-resentment right now. The spark we'd shared three years ago when he'd turned to me for his only support had reignited, but- and this is a massive deal for him, I'm sure- he regretted the first time we'd had sex was when we were both drunk. Trust me, I too felt horrid about it not happening when we'd been sober. And maybe, just maybe, this wouldn't have happened, because maybe, just maybe, we'd have remembered to use protection.

Ugh! I just had to do this. I knew his morals and I knew that when he felt he felt deeper and truer than one could fathom. As I said, he'd turned to me in his darkest hour and I'd kept everything he'd told me confidential. He trusted me, he had said, in a way he hadn't ever trusted her. I knew him, he had said, in a way she hadn't known him. He knew me, he had said, in a way he hadn't known her. He had hinted, always hinted, that he felt so connected to me... yet he never made a move on me, and I hadn't ever known how to take it. All I had really wanted was to protect him and help him as he had me. I loved him, I had known, in a way so deep that I simply wanted him happy and stable.

We'd hardly seen each other after graduation as he continued on teaching, not even moving schools, and I had gone off to college. To study, of all things, teaching gym class- the same thing he taught. I'd done my prac under his supervision even and we'd managed purely professional. Okay, okay, there was a little of the ease of having worked together before and I had discovered for myself that he truly had treated me as his equal, especially as his marriage had gotten tougher and then in the month before graduation.

"It's nice to see you following in my footsteps!" he'd teased after my first day.
"I don't have a clue what you're talking about, Comrade! My feet could never fit in your big boots!" I'd laughed.
He smiled and shook his head affectionately and in amusement. "Seriously though, Rose, it's good to see you doing so well making use of something you enjoy so much." He'd leaned against my father-supplied Volvo as I unlocked it and loaded in what stuff I'd needed to, smile still in place.
"Yeah, it does feel good teaching what I love." I'd cocked my head to the side as I leaned against the door I'd just shut and looked at him. I'd looked at him pointedly. And his eyes had softened just that little bit more. "How are you, Dimitri? Really?"
"I've had better days, Roza." His look turned nearly cheeky. "But I've got a feeling the next six weeks are going to be the best I've had since the paperwork was signed off."
I smiled softly. "I am right here, if you need me again."
He shook his head and muttered, "I'll always need you."
And I'll always be here; waiting for the day you want me and take me the way you know, and the way you know I know, you need me.
We'd lapsed into a comfortable silence. "I'll see you tomorrow, Roza. And I mean it when I say having you under my wing again is going to be some of the best days I've had in a good long while." He'd chuckled, patted my upper arm, turned with a great big grin on his face, and walked away. He had almost skipped his six foot seven frame away from me.

I had returned to college for my final semester and graduated five weeks ago. He'd surprised me by showing up. We'd gone bar hoping here in Las Vegas, just us two, one thing led to another and the next thing we know is clothes are being removed and we're sleeping together.

The following morning we'd both woken with terrible hangovers.
"Ro- Roza," he started frantically and I shushed him with a finger.
"Not now, Dimitri," I murmured tenderly. "Now is not the time to feel guilty."
"But I took adv-"
"I'm twenty-one," I said pointedly. "I was not as incoherent as you may believe."
"Rose," he tried to plead.
"Dimitri Belikov." I glared at him. "I have been waiting nearly half a decade for that, and yes, I will admit I slightly regret doing it drunk, but I don't regret it. Understood?"
"Understood." He looked at me adoringly as he let a hand run through my hair. "So, you waited for me, huh?" he whispered huskily.
I melted and nodded with the snappiest and most stupid look I'm sure I'd ever worn.
"I wish I'd waited for you," he murmured in my ear.
I shivered, completely helpless under the effects he has on me.
"I love you, Roza. Truly I do. I can't remember not loving you." He tipped my chin up and I could read the truth in them.
"She suspected, didn't she? She suspected we had something that you and her didn't."
Shock registered on his face. "She went so far as to accuse me of already having an affair with you. It's why she filed for divorce; she didn't believe me."
I thought through all I knew as I looked into his eyes, into his soul. "I already had your heart in a way she never would, didn't I? It's why you went through with the divorce even if you'd never be with me, at least you wouldn't have been stuck in a loveless and childless marriage."
"Will you cut that out?" he whined as he pulled me closer.
"You don't want me to. Not really. Just like you don't want to let me out of bed this morning."
He'd growled lustfully against my lips and as coherently as we could be with a hangover, we'd done it again.

We hadn't talked or seen each other since dinner that night. I was, in a way, glad we weren't working at the same school, yet we were close enough.
I looked at the final damning test one more time and unlocked my phone. I tapped the call button and waited.
"Rose?" Dimitri exclaimed in surprise.
"Hey," I smiled, though even I could tell my voice was weak with nerves.
"Roza?" asked a worried Dimitri. "Roza what's wrong?"
"Do you remember where I live?" I asked nearly voicelessly. The fear was more evident than I imagined.
"Yes. Rose, what's going on?" Now he was panicked as I heard him rushing around and out a door. "I'm on my way."
"Good. Thanks, Comrade. I really do need you now."
He chuckled half-heartedly. "Really, Roza? You're still calling me that?"
"It's soothing!" I defended, nearly breaking into tears as I heard a car door shut and instructions being given.
"Oh Roza. I'll be there soon, okay? I love you, you know that. I always will no matter how long we spend apart."
"You're the righteous one who's been avoiding me, Dimitri!"
"I'm sorry, Roza. I got scared. You know how you scare me. I'm so sorry. What can I do to make it up to you? I'll do anything."
"Just don't leave me again. I won't be able to handle it this time."

Not too long afterwards, he got out of the taxi and approached my door.
"It's open." I met him half-way.
He looked me up and down then his eyes homed in on the test I'd forgotten I was holding. "Roza?" He stepped forward and guided my frozen hand so he could read the test result.
"You're the only one!" I cried. "I swear you're still the only one."
"Shh. Settle Roza. I believe you. You've never given me any reason to not believe you."
"Now what happens?" I clutched onto his shirt as I led him through to see the other three positive results.
"Now we prepare for a baby, our baby," he smiled against my lips.

"You aren't going to leave again, are you?" I begged into his shoulder as he laid us down in my big bed.
"No, Roza. I'm never going to leave again. Ever. You're my life, and have been for a very long time, my love."
"Good."