Russian battle-god mentors and love lessons

DPOV
I didn't know why'd made the mistake of leaving Rose's side all those years ago. More importantly I had no clue why I didn't return earlier, like an-hour-after-walking-out-running-back earlier. Why had I thought putting anyone else first was better? Why had I pushed her away?  And where on earth was she? What was she doing? I hadn't ever seen her with Lissa and Christian and their family when Tasha visited. I hadn't heard of her assignment after graduation all those years ago- it simply wasn't made public and Lissa  and co. wouldn't slip and tell, not even the kids. It was almost as if she'd disappeared yet every guardian out there knew she was still in the ranks. What could possibly have made her hide? What was going on with her that had everyone acting like she was in a witness-protection-program.

The answer was something I never would have imagined, though I really should have- far fetched and making the impossible possible were her forte.

I was walking into St Vlad's Guardian Captain's office to report for duty when, through the door, I heard "Marianna Aleksandra Belikov Hathaway! You are just like your mother, totally incorrigible!" Rose chastising before breaking into laughter.

"Sorry Mom, but you know it's funny. You know he loves me- like you and Dad."
Rose sighed. "I'll talk to him- he so isn't going to make your father's mistakes, he hasn't done anything like them, yet. If he does, I'll personally hunt him down and drag him back to you."
"Thanks Mom but I can threaten my boyfriend myself."
"I still can't believe you did the same thing I did." I could hear the smile in her voice.
"What? You mean fall for my older Russian battle-god mentor? The only other person, besides us, in this goddamned," oh boy, this girl had her mother's language and attitude, "school who knows who I really am, both as a person and my parentage."
"Yeah, he is. I love how he refers to you by only Belikov when in this office. I honestly don't know why he tried to hide it from me."
"You know full well Mom, you know full well, why."
Okay, she hadn't picked up Rose's logic. Well, not completely.
"I'm just glad he didn't fight it, he truly treats you right. Unlike your daddy dearest."
"Mom! You know your situation was a tad different. I don't have a 'Tasha Ozera' to contend with."
"Thank The Lord." I could just see Rose slouching back into her chair and rolling her eyes. She sighed before asking "anything else about you two I should know?"
"Uh. Maybe. Here."
"Oh, thank god! Maybe you are right, maybe you can threaten him yourself."
Rose and her daughter totally lost it, breaking into laughter.
"You," laugh, "know," laugh, "I'm right!" She teased her mom.
"Congrats baby girl. I knew he'd treat you right, he'll protect you."
"Mom, you know I'm more badass than him. I can protect myself."
"That may be so, but the ones you kill want to see you dead- or worse, turned. You need protecting, why do you think you've been kept a tightly guarded secret?"
The girl sighed. "I get it Mom, I get it."

Okay, I was expecting her to explode if the girl was a mini Rose. She clearly had more control- and respect (for her mother at least). Rose just laughed.

"You really are Daddy's daughter. You and your control and respect."
"With your sass, attitude and logic," the girl joined in her mother's laughing.
"And that's not even going into your appearance- the female version of him through-and-through."
"Does that ever hurt you?"
"No. I love it. I still don't get how no one has realised." Rose giggled. "I mean, you're his spitting image."
"Those Belikov genes are strong- very strong."
"You only got my curves and wavy hair." I could just imagine Rose shaking her head.
"Hey! They're the best parts." The girl retorted.
"Oh?"
"Yup."
"And they attract attention."
"Looks and stares. But I'm not the flirt you were. Reckless occasionally, but not a flirt."
"And yet not antisocial like your dad. Private, but not antisocial."
"The perfect blend for the 'badass Belikov baby'."
"Perfect blend doesn't even begin to cover it." I could hear Rose's pride loud and clear.
"Hmmm."
"What are you thinking Marna?"
"That Dad's eavesdropping. You know he was due to arrive today." Damn! I'd been caught, by my... daughter?
"That's not you thinking, that's you knowing."
"What?! How?"
"You'll see. Comrade! Get your crappy ass in this office! Now!"