Surviving

RPOV
"Run!" called and ordered Alberta.
"Rose, Run!" screamed Dimitri in an echo of Alberta. Run simply wasn't happening. There were too many Strigoi still in here and I had a feeling something really bad was going to happen. So. I paused, waiting for Dimitri to catch up. I was still aware of my surroundings and the danger I was in... but...
"Rose! Run!" screeched my distressed lover. Alberta whizzed past-attempting to drag me out with her... it didn't work. Dimitri caught up to me milliseconds later.
"They're coming! Fight with me!" I screamed at him in a tone of voice that left no room for an argument. I may be a novice-his novice and his lover-but he could not argue with that order. Nor disobey it as I had with Run.

I positioned us so that I was at his back and he was facing the mouth of the cave and the setting sun. We'd just taken up the formation when the Strigoi attacked us. There was six of them and only two of us-everyone else had decided to retreat all the way to campus, having decided to leave the insane mentor-student pair to their suicide attempt. If only they knew I wasn't saving my mentor's ass nor he his student's. Anyway, the fight was on. We were both extremely exhausted and had to get back to campus as soon as possible. Slowly, too slowly but absolutely surely, each of our opponents earned a stake to their heart. All the while, I kept control over subtly but certainly pushing Dimitri to the cave's mouth and into the now almost set sun.

When there was one attacking Strigoi left, we were protected by the thin sunlight glowing just barely into the cave's entrance. Dimitri grabbed my hand, not my wrist like a mentor but my hand, entwining his fingers with mine and tugged me, well us, away from the line up of Strigoi waiting to escape.
"I saw what you did there, my Roza. Now let's run."
He packed an order into those last three words. But it wasn't any other order. My Dimitri was worried about his Roza's safety. His fortune echoed in my mind. He'd come too close to losing me innumerable times over the last twenty-four hours. So, run is what I made my legs do. My right hand firmly embraced my stake, while my left embraced Dimitri's free hand. He wasn't going to let go-unless it was to protect me-until we were safely behind the wards.

We barrelled onto campus, behind the wards. I launched myself into his chest and loving embrace. I couldn't care less about our cover anymore. Neither did Dimitri apparently, since he effortlessly lifted me up so my legs could secure me to him by his torso, my arms wrapped around his neck, and his arms and hands held me to him via my butt as I clung to him for dear life.
"Dimitri," I all but cried into his neck. I would have been a hell lot worse had he not survived.
"Roza," my lover's voice was as strained as mine had been. "I'm glad you're alive, that we are, but you are one cheeky insubordinate young woman."
"I know, but you wouldn't have me any other way," I softly teased in his ear.
"No, I wouldn't have you any other way," smiled my lover into my ear.

Alberta'sPOV
Janine and I had stayed at the edge of campus, near the wards, in the hopes Rose and Belikov would make it back.
"Are they trying to get themselves killed?" ranted Rose's mother. "Shouldn't Belikov have dragged Rose out?"
"I don't doubt that's what he's trying to do," I calmly responded. "But you know how stubborn she is. Add in her Strigoi sixth sense, and she won't leave until she absolutely has to."
"I can't lose her when we've just barely begun to patch things up," Janine was barely holding it together.
"No one can afford to lose her now," especially Belikov.

There's definitely something going on between those two, I could tell. They had a unique connection, one that certainly doesn't normally happen between student and mentor-trust me, I've been a mentor many times, so their connection has to be more personal. It's so not obvious when he's barely composed if Rose is in danger or pain. Also not a giveaway is the way they always walk so close together, almost protectively and possessively.

We'd waited nearly twenty minutes when they burst through the wards and onto campus. I noticed it at the same time as I noticed Janine's glare. They'd run back hand-in-hand, and it was in the personal sense-there was no doubt about that. If it was professional, then he'd have simply grabbed her wrist then let go once far enough away. They'd barely let us register that, barely been behind the wards for milliseconds, when Rose jumped into Belikov's arms, clinging to him by his waist and neck. Yeah, they were involved. They clearly had not registered anything other than being behind the wards and that they were alive. The pair were whispering to each other in a way that was so clearly relief-again, in the personal sense.