Telling Olena

DPOV
"Olena speaking," Mama answered my call.
"Mama!" It had been nearly three quarters of a year since I'd called her last. For fear I'd reveal too much about Roza. But that's what this call was all about, my Roza.
"Dimitri Belikov," she warned. Uh oh. "Why haven't I heard from you in close to a year! I've been worried sick."
"Calm down, Mama. That's what I'm calling to explain."
"This better be good, Dimka."
"Oh yes," I beamed, "it's good. Mama, I've found her. I've found my better half, the one I can't live without. She's brilliant Mama. I'm so lucky to have her in my life, so lucky her love for me rivals the love I have for her." I don't think I'd ever gushed over Roza so much before. In fact, I don't remember gushing until I'd found her and fallen head over heals and helplessly in love with her. "She drives me insane, Mama. I haven't felt so out of control since I made him leave. Except this is in a good way." And I'd come to accept it really was regardless of what others and the laws say. "She sees right through me Mama."
"Oh Dimka," she cried in joy. "I never thought I'd ever hear my only son trip over his words describing the woman he fell head over heals in love with."

Oh, Rose was a woman, that was for sure. She was a woman and it was my doing. I'd taken her virginity in the cabin and knew she'd given me almost all her soul, all her trust by me being the only one to have had sex with. I'd given her all my love, and I'd do it time and again... if I didn't have to bleeding wait until graduation!

"I really do love her, Mama."
"So... tell me all about her!" she demanded excitedly.
I grinned even though she couldn't see. "Well, to start with, her name is Rose. Rose Hathaway. My Roza."
My mother laughed at that. "I never imagined you'd get possessive."
"I'm not possessive of her," I defended.
"You so are, don't deny it. As long as you're prone to jealousy you're possessive."
"I'm protective, not possessive. There's a difference."
I could almost see her shaking her head. "You're possessive. Now, details! Is she Moroi, dhampir, or heaven forbid, human?"
"Dhampir, most definitely dhampir."
"Is she a guardian? How did you meet? How long have you known her? How old is she?"
"No need to fire questions at me so quickly. I'll answer them. She's Princess Vasilisa Dragomir's best friend. She's eighteen. She's bound to Lissa and is one kick-ass guardian in training."
"Wh-what did you say?" she stammered. My hands began to sweat and the nerves really kicked in.
"She's bound to the Princess?"
"No, no, no. The other part."
"She's eighteen?"
"No! The other other part, Dimka."
"Ahh. That." I cringed. I loved Rose with all my heart and was proud she was mine. I just feared my mother's reaction. "She's one kick-ass Strigoi slaying novice."
"Dimka," my mother sighed. "You didn't, did you?"
"Yes, Mother. I fell for my student." I confessed.
There was a long pause. "I never thought you'd be the type."
"She left me no choice!" I cried defensively. "I tried, Mom, truly I tried not to let her steal my heart. It happened anyway. She took my say away the moment I laid eyes on her. She's the most beautiful, powerful, loving creature anyone could know. Everyone underestimates her and no one understands her. No one but me, and sometimes I wonder how truly I understand her. But I do know how truly and deeply I love her."
"You're all hers, aren't you? Not even duty is top of your priorities anymore?"
"I'd be lying to myself if I said I could put a Moroi life above hers. I'd die for her. I nearly have died for her."
She laughed quietly. "I want you to bring her home as soon as possible. I want to meet the girl who stole my twenty-four year old son's heart."
"I'll try. And she's not a girl. She's never been merely a girl. She's a woman, my woman." She can be Lissa's guardian but my woman.
"Her age says otherwise. And there you go again. You're all possessive of her."
"Wait until you meet her. Then you'll know what I mean. Yes, she's developed for her age, but that's mentally as well. She understands concepts others twice her age can't. When you meet her you won't not be able to understand what I mean."
"I didn't need to hear about her body, Dimitri."
"You're the one who assumed I meant only physically."
"I'm not sure I want to know, but Mother has been going around saying you've popped someone's cherry. Any clue what she means?"
I gulped. "I may just hold Roza's virginity," I admitted reluctantly yet sorta proudly. I was honoured to be the one she'd waited to sleep with.
"Good god! I never thought you would do that."
"At least there wasn't a risk of getting her pregnant." I still wished for kids, but I knew I only wanted to raise a child with Roza. She was worth the sacrifice of kids and the honour of guarding the last Dragomir.
"You're willing to give up kids for her?"
"Yeah. I've already turned down an offer from Tasha Ozera because I couldn't lead her on, I couldn't stand the thought of raising a child with a woman I don't love."
I could hear her smile and approval when she responded. "I brought you up to do the right thing. And to follow your heart. I'm proud you've done it."
"Thanks Mama."
"Now I expect you to call more regularly and to bring your Roza to Russia to meet her in-laws."
I agreed before hanging up. I was glad that whole conversation had taken place in Russian.