The birthday of a badass

DPOV
Rose's 18th birthday party was finished with the two bestie's, Christian, and Eddie left. Well, and me. I had been on duty for most of it but it was a good excuse to see her like this, though I had a feeling she wasn't totally happy. I tuned into the bond we'd created in the cabin.

'Hey! Get outta my head Dimitri! Are you that bored?'
'Roza, I can feel you're not completely happy.'
'And I can read you're trying to snoop.'
'Screw you!'
'We've covered that!'
'Do you regret that? Or this and it's complications?'
'No.' I could feel it was the truth but there was something being kept from me.
'I can tell it's the truth, I'm not going to push you on what you're trying to hide.'
'You'll find out soon enough. Plus, you're keeping secrets too.'
'Yeah- they're good ones though, all revolve around you.'
'Oh really?'
'Yes. I'm outta here!' I laughed mentally and pulled out of her head to walk over to Lissa- who was talking with Rose. How that woman kept two conversations going I'll never know.

"Excuse me Princess."
Lissa turned to look at me as I was standing next to Rose, slightly behind her right shoulder. I could tell Rose could feel my presence and was curious as to what was going on. "Yes Guardian Belikov?"
Here it goes. This was a huge risk but, by god, my Roza was worth it. "Do you mind if I steal Rose for the rest of the evening? You are done here right?"
"I swear, Guardian Belikov, if you are going to spoil Rose's eighteenth with guardian talk or training you'll have me to answer to." Uh oh! I resisted the urge to gulp.
"Lissa," I dropped formalities, "I promise this has nothing to do with either."
Rose started laughing. "About time Lissa. Let me go."
"Fine." Liss looked to me, "If you hurt her Dimitri my previous threat remains. Go on- I really don't want to know what you've got in store for her. Get out of here!" She laughed and Rose joined in.
"Thanks Lissa- I'll talk to you later."
"I thought I said I didn't want to know."
I gripped Rose's hand and whispered in her ear: "Cabin".

"I'm out of here Liss." Rose pulled me out of the recreation room, down the stairs and out the lobby door, then dropped my hand.
'Hey! That's what I was supposed to do!' I teased mentally.
'Do you not realise that it'll raise questions the other way around?'
'You've got a point.'
'Race ya?'
'Hell no.'
'Aw? Why not?'
'It's part of what I've been hiding.'
'Fine.' She huffed, aloud.

"Come on." I took the risk of grabbing her hand and pulled towards the cabin.

I had decked it out, blood red rose petals and electronic tea lights were everywhere. I had been tempted to arrange the petals to spell out "marry me, my Roza?" Then decided I wanted to talk to her about it, about us, though I did have the ring Babushka sent days after I had first arrived at the academy- almost two years ago. That was a sign that Rose would say "yes" at some point, but when?

When we got to the cabin door I covered her eyes with one of my hands and opened the door with the other.

'What the hell Dimitri?!'
'Shhh. Settle, my love.' I led her inside and locked the door behind us. I kissed her cheek before I removed my hand.

"Whoa!" She spun in a circle.
"Happy birthday, my Roza."
"How on earth did you keep this from me?"
"It took quite a bit of effort. And this isn't all of it."
"Oh? How is there more?"
"Come on." I went and sat on the bed "join me- you aren't going home tonight."
"What!" She squeaked as she joined me, resting her head and back against my chest, and I played with her hair- I was lucky she let me touch it.
"You heard me milaya. You are staying right here."
"Do you realise how dangerous this all is?" 'Damn! Why am I being responsible?!'
"I heard that. And yes, I do realise how dangerous this is but you're worth it- I love you."
"I love you too comrade." She sighed.
"Rose?"
"Hmm?"
"I wanted to talk to you, about us-"
"Dimitri! If-"
"Oh shut up!" I teased and kissed her cheek. "It's the reverse of a breakup milaya."
"What on earth does that mean?"
"I wanted to talk to you about your opinions on marriage."
"Dimitri! I just turned eighteen!"
"And I know you've thought about it, and a family. I want to know what goes through your head, without snooping through the bond."
"Only if I get to hear your opinions too."
"That's the idea." I kissed her cheek.
She took a deep breath. "Well. Age is and isn't a concern."
"How can it be both?"
"It's a legality thing- the law says I'm barely an adult. My mother says I'm still a child but you imply I'm older than you in some ways."
"Damn straight! You are older than me in some ways, it actually freaks me out."
"I thought as much." She sighed. "My other major concern is the one thing we've always worried about."
"Guarding."
"Yes. How are we meant to keep up a marriage if one of us gets reassigned. And if it were possible to have a family how does our work interfere? Our kids certainly wouldn't be normal." I caught her hesitancy and distaste over using the word 'if'. "Then the bond, how does it interfere with our work? One thing's for sure- we need to have a Court or academy assignment, that or one each of the eventual Dragomir-Ozera's." She sighed. "Or I-"
"Don't you dare, don't you dare even think about graduating only to turn down an assignment that isn't Lissa or Christian." I was completely shocked. She wanted nothing more than to be a great guardian, an excellent guardian, or did she?
"I heard that Dimitri. I want us more." I thought I sensed 'us' meant more than she was letting on. "I need you in order to live- just like you do me. I love you. I promised you last time we were here I'd put you first, if that's the way I have to do it then that's what I'll do. I won't abandon Liss- she's a part of this family too, as is Christian thanks to her." What?! "This family? Rose? What are you talking about?"
"I spent all yesterday in the clinic, comrade. Tests were run- and repeatedly. Something felt off when I woke up too early, the dreams I'd had the night before had taken on a strange feel- almost real, but a futuristic real." Uh oh. I hope she wasn't turning into another Yeva. "I heard that comrade, and no, it's not that. It's something much more daunting, much more scary." She grabbed my hands and pulled them to her breasts.
"Rose?"
"Feel free to explore, but be careful. They're a tad sensitive."