Embracing life and love

DPOV

What the hell had just happened? Lissa had staked me but instead of dying I was alive. Everything I'd done, was about to do, flashed through my eyes. My eyes landed on my Roza and I ran to her. I had hurt her and she was a part of me- literally and figuratively now. I had hurt her but she was the only one who would understand. No one else here had been through Russia with us. She was the only way back to myself. She'd pulled me from my shell once and she'd do it a million and one times over no matter what.

"Roza!"

"Comrade!" She pulled me into a hug and we fell to the floor. "I love you. Know that Dimitri, always and forever, you have my heart." I was in her lap and she was stroking my hair.

"I love you too Roza. So much. You're the only one. The only one for me, and the only one who understands."

"Shhh." She cooed. God, if only I could make her a mom- she'd be amazing. "I'm here. It'll be alright. I forgave you because there was nothing to forgive."

"God. You. Are. An amazing woman my Roza."

"I love you Dimitri. Nothing and no one will come between us, we've fought too hard. I love you- you aren't going anywhere without me- got that Belikov?"

"Yes Hathaway." I smiled and leaned in and kissed her. The electricity, love and life that crackled between us was off the charts- we were both fully alive. This was where I was meant to be- in her arms. Right then I knew Lissa had only done the last piece. Rose was behind this, she'd never stopped fighting since Russia. Letting the Strigoi me go in Vegas now made sense. She'd just been given a sliver of hope to get this 'us' back, to get me back. How had I gotten so lucky? How did I deserve her? I didn't know, but I wasn't pushing her away again- it had hurt her enough last time and she hadn't been through Russia, death threats, Vegas and god only knows what else. She had fought for me and now I was going to fight for us. I had told her after the cabin we'd find a way to make it work and I was going to hold true to it.

"I love you" I breathed while touching foreheads to catch our breath.

"I love you more Dimitri" she brought our lips back together. She did, she most certainly did love me more and I was going to try and let her know how much I appreciated it- for the rest of forever. I switched us so she was on my lap, legs around my waist and our hands were exploring each other. She was so familiar yet so new and delicate, precious, alive. She was alive and so was I, the heat and life was coming off me too.

Then it started. The yelling, the screaming and trying to separate us.

"No!" Rose stood protectively and defensively in from of me. "You'll have to go through me to get to him! He's dhampir goddamn it! Think about what you just saw! No Strigoi is that tender, that full of emotion and life! Trust me- I know! Personally!" Ouch! She had a point though. I had a feeling if I got out of here alive I'd have to forgive myself, otherwise I was going to lose her forever.

"Roza" I cautiously stood behind her and wrapped my arms around her waist.

"They're not taking you Dimitri. I won't let them!"

"Guardian Rose Hathaway" I whispered in her ear and she shivered. It was hard to believe she'd only just gotten her title and was putting it on the line for me. Although everyday at St Vlad's I put mine on the line for her.

"I don't want to be a Guardian if you're not Dimitri. We're both Guardians or both untitled, not one of each."

"Oh Roza" I kissed her cheek. Was she in that much trouble already? "How close to being untitled are you?"

"Hans? If you touch Dimitri you can feel free to strip me of my title. You have no clue what I'm capable of, who my contacts are."

"Guardian Hathaway!"