MALEVOLENT 21: Wedding Plan

She did not want to stay at the ball, especially not with Gaol and Mala staring at each other like they were seeing one another for the first time.

"It looks like the two of you have some catching up to do. Excuse me," she said, and fled even as their protests rang in her ears. If she stayed for much longer she'd be caught like a fly in their web of sickly, honey-like sweetness.

Delilah skirted the edge of the ballroom, hoping she could get away unnoticed, but paused to reflect upon the current fashions circulating court. Ribboned boots; the older women with tight corsets and the younger with looser but still form-fitting gowns; hair braided into intricate, elaborate updos with all manner of ornaments woven in... Even at a distance she could see the more foolish court members being singled out for not following the latest trend, she could see groups forming like packs of hunting hounds, every bit as vicious.

Delilah herself, of course, looked drab in a dull grey dress, but she was letting them pick whatever they wanted for her for now. When she had a few court members in her pocket, when her shadow influence grew, she would start showing her power on the surface in this way once more.

She spotted Lord Caldor's daughter Kiri nearby, and pushed towards her immediately. Speaking of power...

"P-Princess Delilah!" Kiri dropped into the lowest curtsey Delilah had been given since she'd duelled Marko. The girl's eyes shone. Her dark skin gleamed against her pale blue dress, giving her the look of an enchanting water nymph. She would grow into her somewhat lopsided features as she aged.

"Lovely to see you here, Kiri. I'm so glad to see you convinced your father to let you come!"

"I absolutely hated the countryside, there was nothing to do there! And everything you told me was true. The Palace is the most wonderful place I've ever seen. I hope I get such splendour when my future betrothal is announced!"

Delilah forced herself not to wince and plastered on a smile. "But come, Kiri, why didn't I know you were here already? You must take chambers with my ladies-in-waiting, I want you to be part of my circle!"

"Are you sure?"

"Of course. You're a lord's daughter, you deserve it, and I would love to see more of you."

If the hook sank into the fish without it realising, it could be slowly reeled in, and the shoal wouldn't even notice.

After Kiri enthusiastically agreed and bounced away, presumably to tell everyone the news, Delilah sighed in satisfaction and continued her abscondment. So this night hadn't been a complete waste of time.

Her luck didn't last. She had the exit corridor in her sights when Lord Ern appeared in front of her, and immediately she felt the attention of the people nearest to them, hungry for gossip.

Between the folds of her dress, she clenched her fists.

Lord Ern made a show of bowing. "My princess."

Delilah curtsied with grace as she had always done, but the upper half of her body remained stiff as a board.

"I look forward to the day of our marriage, it can't come soon enough. I am already preparing my country manor for your arrival."

Ah, the old song of spiriting her away from court.

"You will find in me an agreeable and generous husband."

The fact that you feel the need to say that out loud speaks volumes.

He hesitated, obviously waiting for her to respond, but she stayed silent. He spent agonising seconds trying to come up with something to say as the awkwardness thickened, and then, "Until our wedding day, my love."

Delilah nodded and let him move past her. She had nothing to say to him.

Delilah told the guards at the door she was tired, had a headache and wanted to go to bed. She'd hoped that her dress coupled with her expression meant they'd see her as unthreatening, but no, they insisted on escorting her all the way – proof that she was still untrustworthy. Fair enough.

Kaya and Nell were waiting in her chambers.

"I'm fine," she said before they could speak. "The battle went well and Pelenu won. Look... I've been meaning to say... I used to be so set on destroying everyone that nothing got in my way. When did it get so messy? I've spent far too much time with the two of you, and ancestors forbid, I have... grown to care. Appreciate how much it costs me to admit this."

"We do," Kaya said.

"I've located the man Ishtar asked you to dispatch, Argo," Nell said. "He's a merchant prince with lots of power – probably too much – and he's holding a dinner party for his favoured clients at his riverside mansion on the fifth day of this week. I can give you pointers on how to get inside or come with you if you would like."

"But you should focus on destroying your upcoming wedding," Kaya objected.

Delilah steepled her hands. "It's already been announced, so killing him will be risky. I need to make his death look like an accident, and even that will arouse suspicion. I can spare this week to fulfil the bargain I made with the Illukanya, and maybe then I'll have more clarity, once I have allies on my side."

"Won't you also have to be cautious at this dinner party?"

"Not really. I want them to know who killed them."

"So you're going to shout from the rooftops that the princess is still a killer. Great idea. Definitely won't get you killed."

"No, not exactly, I'm going to create an underworld persona. Anyone who deals with the Illukanya or avoids authorities will be able to guess it's me, but my true identity will be somewhat a mystery."

"How will you manage that? People are smarter than you give them credit for."

"My plan will be to be as subtle as necessary in getting into the mansion, but after that, I'm not going to try to make the kill from the shadows."

"No, because announcing yourself in a room full of angry men will definitely be the best option."

"Perhaps."

"You might have proven you can still fight in battle, but you're not invincible, Delilah," Nell warned. "I'm coming with you, at least on your way in, and I'll be on hand to step in if you need me."

"We should find a second exit route, where I can wait in case you need further backup," Kaya offered.

"Good. It makes sense. But I am going to strike the final blow. If it gets messy after that, you two step in, but only if I can't handle it."

After the battle, fire still buzzing in her mind, and with a plan in place, Delilah felt exhilarated. The wedding was a hurdle she could work on later, and her mind shied from it because it made sense to discuss it with Tiberius, but she didn't feel ready for that yet.