MALEVOLENT 28: Sun Warriors

Delilah still had dealings with Ishtar before she could go back to the palace. She made her way to the tea room, where the staff under the Illukanya's employ took one look at her and began whispering in hushed voices. She didn't have to wait long before another cloaked and hooded agent arrived and beckoned for her to follow him.

This time they didn't blindfold her, so she carefully marked out the route they took to Ishtar's study, above a grand and expansive spice shop.

Ishtar made a show of not looking up from the writing at his desk when Delilah burst in. Two could play at this game. She stalked right up to the desk and sat on it, leaning on one hand, her upper body slightly twisted as her legs dangled, one crossed over the other.

He looked up.

"As you can see, I upheld my end of the bargain alone and without a scratch," she announced smugly.

"You did get at least one, I believe." Ishtar's eyes flicked to her wrist.

"A minor thing. The man I met in the alley has keen observation."

"He's one of my best, although I regret sending him after the display you put on, because even my half-blind grunts would have seen your fire."

"I was making a statement," she said sweetly.

"Why bother? There's no need."

"I believe you could spin this in your favour." No point in dancing around the business; she was a busy monarch.

"Elaborate."

"Elaborate, Princess," she said.

Slowly, Ishtar sat back in his chair, chewing on the words for a moment. "Elaborate, Princess."

"See? Not so hard. We both have a dilemma, you and I. My sphere of influence ends at the palace boundaries and that's exactly where you can't get. I want to make a name for myself in Rhydderch, but not as myself - not at first. You will spread rumours about this fire. Make me a symbol, something to be whispered about, going by a fake name. I want my notoriety to be spread from the ground up." And eventually she would claim the name.

"How does that help us?"

"In addition to my disposal of your enemy? By claiming I am under your employ, of course. I needed a big event, something noticeable, to make the city sit up and listen, as any self-respecting new assassin would do."

"Hardly -" Ishtar began to choke.

"Well, I'm not like most assassins, am I?"

"What a high opinion of yourself you have."

"One would even say it had been bred into me," Delilah purred. "Now, in return for all of this, I have a task to give to you."

"A little early for you to be making such demands -"

"One which will benefit us both, because it involves me getting one of your agents - your best - into the palace."

Ishtar stilled like a jackal sighting prey. "The palace..."

"Its spies have rooted out all your people before now." Thanks to her uncle. "I offer a way in, and I'll even pay for for completing this task of mine. It's essential that everything happens according to plan. And once your man gets away with it, you'll have someone securely lodged in the palace to report back to you, and you'll finally get the eyes and ears you want."

"How is he going to get into the palace?"

"I have two servants in my employ on the inside. They'll let him in."

Ishtar's eyes gleamed, and Delilah saw his mind whirring. This was an opportunity to get information on the court and palace for the Illukanya – if they found a way in through this mission, they could wreak all kinds of havoc. Little did he know, Delilah didn't plan on letting any of his people leave alive. If they had any secret knowledge of an entrance, she would lose some of her hold over them. She had to be the one holding all the cards.