9: Fire Thief

Dante returned from his next outing with a stocky farm horse. Delilah blinked when she saw what was harnessed to it: a little wooden box-like trailer, stained and slightly rotted, but still rolling.

"Hey, hey, hey! Stop touching me!" Delilah squawked when Dante, without warning, scooped her up in his arms.

"Fine. I'll drop you, and leave you to claw your way into it on your own. You're no use to me dead," Dante said tonelessly, dumping her in the trailer and tossing their packs and supplies in a moment later. "You know this country, Princess. Give me directions to a place they'll never find us."

Delilah chewed the inside of her mouth, after telling Dante the safest route out of the forest. They would be hunted everywhere. They were not just fugitives – they were thieves, and had stolen the most important object in Pelenu. The Fire Opal was tied to Dante's belt, and he hadn't so much as touched it yet, despite his hunger and his grand plans. Delilah couldn't help wondering what the wraiths would whisper to him.

What was Dante Vallahan, King of Vale, afraid of? Did he doubt himself?

To her surprise, Dante walked beside the horse and kept their pace slow. The path was uneven and the trailer jolted and rocked constantly – every tiny movement sent knives through Delilah's abdomen and threatened to tear her new stitches. Dante knew she wouldn't be able to handle anything faster. While he held the horse's reins and trudged on, Delilah lay on her back on a blanket, extremely uncomfortable, staring up at the canopy above them.

"I'm slowing you down," she said after a few hours.

"Yes."

"But you're not going to speed up anyway?"

"Your comfort does not concern me – but if I slow down your healing, you'll be useless for longer."

She ground her teeth at that. Useless. She'd been useless for many weeks after the trail, when in Nell's care. She'd vowed to make herself strong and capable. She'd badgered Nell to teach her some of the Sun Warriors' techniques, had trained wherever was hidden while she travelled, until she grew strong and lean, her muscles hard and wiry.

This new injury... this felt like she was back to the start again.

Eventually Delilah deduced the best, closest option for them and gave Dante the directions without telling him their destination. He obliged, taking them through fields and untamed areas rather than following the main roads, knowing he had to rely on her for now.

I am not useless.

After a full day of travelling, when Delilah had gotten used to the constant pangs of pain, Dante stopped abruptly. "No."

"What's wrong, Your Highness?" she drawled. "Keep going. We're almost there. I can smell the sulphur."

"You want us to burn in there?"

"The path leads to a cave. There are caves away from the lava. We'll be safe, and we have the Fire Opal."

Grumbling, Dante started moving again. The stench of gas in the air increased until Delilah put a hand over her mouth, but soon they entered a hidden gap in the rocks. The only sound was their breathing, the creak of the cart, and the horse's whinnying as it tried to shy away. They entered the heart of the volcano.

"Good. Now we're here, get me out of this infernal thing," Delilah said, trying to drag herself to the edge of the trailer.

Dante's face was stony as he picked her up and set her down against a rock wall. She hissed, feeling wet warmth seep into her bandages.

"They'll follow and find us anyway." Dante began to pace the little cave, glancing at the tunnel that stretched deeper into the darkness. Only a little light entered from the tunnel mouth.