42: Wolf Hunter

"No." She folded her arms.

"Yes. I'm not negotiating."

"She'll slit my throat," Hawk protested.

"Can't handle a girl, eh, Hawk?" one of the captains in the stone room sniggered.

"Do not talk back to me, Hawk - just do it." Dante sounded tired.

"What about us?" Kaya asked, taking a step forward.

Dante's latest batch of spies had returned, giving word that the other three nations' troops were moving fast. All of them heading north, to Vale. So Dante had summoned his war council to give them tasks.

"You and Nell are going to help train the giant crows, with the aerial division," Dante drawled.

Kaya scrunched her nose. "But - that's not fair! I'm not Valian - I don't know the first thing about those birds!"

"This is a punishment," Nell said quietly.

"Yes. It is. Because I think I can guess why Councilman Peters is dead."

Delilah whirled around, staring at her two friends in surprise. She'd told Kaya and Nell to terrorise Peters, make sure he knew they were breathing down his neck - but never kill. They'd done it... for her.

Something that might have been gratitude overwhelmed her.

Then anger - at Dante. Kaya and Nell shouldn't be punished for what they did, but she bit her tongue.

"Peters was popular among the councilmen, and they're clamouring for me to arrest someone for his death."

"There's no proof it was us," Nell said.

"Count yourself lucky. You're dismissed," Dante said. "Make sure you complete your tasks and report to me before sunset."

Scowling, Hawk crossed the room to Delilah. "Come on."

Glaring with equal ferocity, so no one would doubt how much she hated him, Delilah followed. Hawk led her to a path that brought them outside on one of the steep mountain flanks, dotted with hardy alpine trees, and she started, amazed to see a group of men on horseback waiting for them. One of them pulled a large wooden wagon - a cage.

"Oh," she said.

"They knew about this - Dante just hadn't decided who'd lead them," Hawk said.

She grinned brightly. "And he chose me."

"He chose me. You don't even know where to go."

"I outrank you, Feathers."

One of the men stifled a laugh at the name.

"You've never even seen one of them in your life, despite that ridiculous nickname of yours."

They strode through the ranks until they found the horses that had been prepared for them. Delilah swung herself into the saddle. "Lead on, Captain. But I'm going to be watching for any flaws or mistakes," she said with a superior air. "If you do something wrong, I'll step in."

"He's only sent you with us to get you away from him for a day," Hawk muttered, but kicked his horse into action. "Move out!"

They set off at a gallop, the horses' hooves like thunder on the rock as they followed a winding path. The scent of pine and snow was sharp in the air, and Delilah shuddered despite her thick, fur-lined jacket. Winter was on its way.

"Not the best weather for war," she muttered, dreading the thought of snow.

"At least there'll be no flies," Hawk replied abruptly.