16: Princess and Devil

As the storm began to die down around them and the snow stained pink with the rising sun, they walked slowly, testing the ground in front with their feet. Delilah breathed a sigh of relief when they entered an area dotted with plants and shrubs: they'd left the ice patches behind and were back on good, solid soil.

They moved faster again, sweating beneath their thick layers. Delilah had stolen wooden snowshoes from Naga's igloo, but Dante decided against using them as it would slow them down.

Delilah felt relief and anxiety curdling inside her when they finally crested a rise to see the Northern Temple, a shining jewel that looked like ice. The quagmire patchwork of land and water around it looked like shattered glass, with broken pieces of ice carried steadily along by the streams' currents.

"We can't kill the High Priestess, Mala," she said to Dante while they paused to catch their breath and scan the landscape.

"Why not?" he asked sharply.

"Because we don't want to start a war until the weapon is ready." The memory of the crown and its empty sockets sent a chill through her. Dante, in control of all four Power Opals, would be able to destroy worlds, not just countries.

"And stealing their most precious treasure wouldn't start one?" he countered. "What's your connection to Mala?"

"There is none."

"Really. You know, I believe we have gotten to know each other quite well while travelling in such close quarters. I can read you like a book."

"No, you can't." Fuming with anger and a little scared, Delilah stormed ahead of him.

They assessed the perimeter under cover of darkness. This temple had armed guards stationed in watchtowers on each corner, and they knew there would be many more inside. Still, Delilah mused as she looked up at the tall walls, the large open archways the guards stood behind would benefit them, too.

Their plan was simple this time. They knew they would be more than capable of winning the fights.

"You don't have much experience in combat, do you?" Dante said skeptically.

"Yes, I do!" Delilah flashed back. "I trained in self-defence martial arts while growing up, and did you never wonder what I'd been doing in the months between my injury and turning up on your doorstep?"

"Whining?" he suggested. "Getting into brawls?"

"Nell, the Sun Warrior, taught me everything she knows, actually. And we travelled around, killing everyone we met so we wouldn't leave a trail. I beat those experienced soldiers. I can beat these, too."

Dante shrugged, and she realised she'd... maybe not impressed him, but made an impression. She'd changed his mind about her.

They stopped to rest their aching legs and sore feet. They would attack in the small hours, the last scrap of dark before the sun rose. They would be shadows incarnate.

Delilah just hoped they would be enough. And that she wouldn't come face to face with her mother.

The grappling hook clanged against stone, and Delilah winced as the sound shattered the silent night. But, thanks to Dante's impressive aim, it caught on something in the watchtower and did not fall down.

He tugged it experimentally. "Should be able to hold us, but not at the same time. I'll go first before the next guard arrives."

The guard's shift had changed, and his replacement hadn't yet arrived - leaving a precious window of opportunity.

Dante scaled the rope like a spider while Delilah hung back and watched. Her body felt like a coiled spring, but she reassured herself with the knowledge that she would be able to release her pent-up energy soon.