6: The Capital

Rhydderch was a towering metropolis of pale stone and burnished glowing domes. Carts trundled past, along with a couple of rare automobiles which were only owned by the extremely rich and important, and there were buildings with screens instead of walls, the wood carved into twisting, exotic shapes. Glass fountains trickled in the marble squares.

Above, the sky was hot and yellow and slightly smoky. They'd moved into volcanic land now, and Delilah noticed with vicious delight that Dante couldn't seem to stop glancing up at the rock towering in the distance around the city.

"How do you people bear it?" he grunted as they made their way through the city, keeping to the quiet streets.

"What?"

"Living in the shadow of volcanoes."

"Our ancestors wanted us Pelenans to be neighbours with the fire gods. They say the Fire Opal was born in the Rhydderch volcano. And... I know it doesn't seem very comforting, but I was told that the high spurs of rock at the peak of the volcano would angle any lava away from the city if it did erupt."

Dante snorted.

Delilah nudged him with an elbow. "Scared?"

"No, just astounded. Pelenans are more brainless than I'd thought."

Delilah pursed her lips as he swept down an alleyway. They eventually stopped at a tea shop, where they sat on cushions scattered around the low tables and snacked on toasted sandwiches and tea. Delilah began to feel nervous and jumpy, and had gotten more used to hiding her features instinctively since they'd arrived. They were in her city. It meant that the danger increased with every step.

The buildings grew taller and closer together, the streets narrower, the closer they got to Rhydderch's heart. Delilah felt her heart begin to jump in her chest.

"So, are you confident Vale is being managed by your council in your absence?" She had to distract herself somehow.

"Of course. Irkalla can run itself without me for a while. I have given everyone specific instructions."

"Not wary of the Pelenan and Anlochian girls currently in your little haven?"

"Your two vixens are harmless."

"Vixens, huh? What does that make me?"

"You're getting awfully bold now we're alone together. Sometimes I wonder if you forget who I am."

Delilah stopped walking as she felt something pricking her back, the point dulled by her layers of clothing. She hadn't even seen Dante's arms move, but now he was half a thought away from puncturing one of her kidneys. Chill fear trickled through her.

"They're the vixens, but you... You're the She-Wolf. You know, that's what my guards have begun calling you? Seems I'm not the only one with a nickname."

"I feel flattered." She kept her voice level, and was disgusted with herself to realise it was smaller, meeker, than it had been a moment ago.

The pressure of the knife against her skin grew and grew until Delilah was certain he'd gut her – but then it vanished, and Dante carried on walking as if nothing had happened.

It took a moment for her to co-ordinate her limbs to follow. Yes, she had almost forgotten. Almost. But she'd hoped they'd somehow be able to learn to work together while retrieving the damned Opals.

They turned a corner to see the Rhydderch Palace looming in front. It blotted out the sky. It was a miniature city in itself, and its domes threw back blinding sunlight. Seeing it felt like a slap in the face.