MALEVOLENT 23: Dear Uncle

Poison.

No, no – it was the sedative Tiberius had given her, disguised as the tonic. She hadn't registered having it again since that day, unless the dose had been too small to detect. Had they decided to up the dosage, or had they been getting too suspicious recently with her outings? Instead of putting her under heavier guard or talking to her outright, this was their cowardly weapon of choice?

Delilah tried to get to her feet, but all she managed to do was flop into a different position on the bed. This dose was as strong as the first, and she couldn't have it now, not now she only had a couple of days before the assassination... She couldn't go into it drugged and she couldn't miss this chance to show the Illukanya she was strong.

The door opened and closed and a large blurry shape materialised. Calm as anything, Tiberius dragged a chair over – she winced as the legs grated against the floor – and sat beside her bed.

"Good evening. You're sedated. I was waiting for you to come back to your room. The initial trial went well, and they have decided to go ahead with it. Agrippa loves sedatives, but since our family are so kind, they wanted to check you wouldn't have any adverse reactions first."

"How will I... know?" she slurred.

"You won't. You won't be able to trust anything you drink. But you also can't dehydrate yourself."

A small crystal bottle waved in front of her face, the edges fuzzy.

"This is the antidote. Clears your head."

Delilah reached for it but he snatched it out of the way.

"I'll only give this to you if you swear not to harm Lord Ern."

"That... worm... is your man?"

"The yellow-bellies are easy to control. If you get rid of him, you'll get rid of years of my work."

"Relax, I'm not doing anything to my future handsome husband."

"I knew you wouldn't like it, but there was no match you would like."

"Finias."

"No, you were too emotionally attached, he was too close to you. He might suspect. Besides, his parents hate your guts – not only did you ruin the chance for their son to become a prince by marriage, but they believe your repentance was a lie."

"How strange."

"So Finias was never an option, I had to select from a pool of my unmarried men. He was the best of them."

"The best... Tiberius, give it to me..."

"No. I want your word, and I want answers."

"I'm not killing your rat. Too suspicious."

"Make sure you keep to it, then. Where did you go the last time you left the palace?"

Which was the last time? "Can't remember."

"Don't play dumb, I've had eyes on you and you keep slipping out. You're not careful enough, I can't believe you haven't been caught. Answer me or I'll smash this bottle. This time it might take days, or a week, to wear off..."

"I went in disguise to the border to see if I could fight."

"To –?"

The haze momentarily lifted. Tiberius seized her face in one hand, fingers squashing her cheeks, contorting her mouth, digging into her soft skin. One finger pushed the soft area where her chin met her neck.

"You stupid girl," he snarled, so close his spittle hit her. He shook her so her teeth rattled. It would've been better if he'd just slapped her. "And what about the time before that?"

"I went to... make a deal with some corrupt men." It was basically the truth.

"The whole city is full of corrupt men."

"Yes, and it's always men, isn't it?"

"Don't spout unnecessary nonsense. I can see you're clumsily trying to spin a web, but I want to know every part of it. If you don't, I can destroy you as easily as blinking." He let go. "Don't you see, you still need me? You're botching everything without my guidance. You threw away all the strength we had together when you first challenged Marko, and has anything changed since? No."

Delilah internally refused to give him everything, and it was like he'd seen the resole form in her eyes and the tightening of her jaw.

"I want to know about the two women that help you."

It hit her like a stack of bricks.

"I see them scurrying about. One is much more elusive than the other. The other is one of your handmaidens, I think, although ancestors know those brainless women all look the same to me. Who are they?"

"Nobodies."

"I don't think so."

"You taught me not to get near your rats, to keep them only by your feet if they need kicking," Delilah said, putting as much venom in her tone as possible. "They're nobodies."

"Hm."

Triumph thrilled through her – finally, something she could keep to herself.

"What are you planning in the next few days? Tell me, and I'll arrange it so that you don't get caught when you slip out."

Arguing with him felt like sinking into quicksand. Drowning in it.

"Come, niece, don't resist."

Ancestors, she was going to have nightmares with that line in it.

"I'm going to finalise a deal with those corrupt businessmen," she purred.

His eyes gleamed. "Extending your reach, eh? Well, that power will come to me soon enough. Anything that is yours is mine, do not forget it. We've neglected to spend enough time together recently, but you look tired, you poor doll, so I won't push you tonight. But the next time I come with the antidote, I will receive a full debrief of everything that occurred."

Tiberius placed a hand on her thigh.

Every sense in her body narrowed to that point and as her muscles tensed into stone, she wanted to vomit. He didn't cut his nails, and the ragged, sharp points dug in cruelly. There was nothing about desire in the gesture – or so she hoped. Prayed.

"Here."

She took the antidote and knocked it back, convulsing at the acrid taste so violently Tiberius had no choice but to remove his hand. A retching fit enveloped her.

"Sweet dreams, niece."

By the time she looked up, her eyes watering but slightly clearer, he had gone.

Delilah grabbed her pillow, buried her face into it, and screamed. She screamed and screamed until there was no air left in her lungs and she was dizzy, until her throat was closing up, and even then it only got out a little portion of her rage. She'd managed to get herself clear-headed enough to take down Argo, but at what cost? She'd essentially sold herself to Tiberius. Again.

Delilah lurched to her feet and stumbled around her room, wanting to get rid of excess energy but unable to move properly. She bumped into every piece of furniture she owned, making animalistic noises whenever her attempts to put her feet in a line failed. The guards stationed outside didn't come in despite the crashing, and she guessed they'd been told.

Delilah snatched up the antidote bottle, bellowed at it like it was Tiberius himself, and went to fling it at her wall. But she forced herself to stop. Nell could take this to an apothecary and get them to analyse the contents... She had to take the power for herself, whether by stealing Tiberius's antidote stock or securing her own supply.

Delilah dropped to the floor and beat at the marble with her fists. How could she win against Tiberius? How? Back when her only goal was murder, it had been so much easier...

She had to find a way.