23: World Domination

The town of Shao was surprisingly lovely. Delilah had expected a cold, austere place, and she was greeted by charming thatched or tiled roofs, whitewashed buildings with wooden frames, and neatly-paved stone paths. The university was a jade monstrosity towering over houses. Even from a distance, she could see monsters and mythical creatures carved into the walls.

This was where the best and brightest came to learn medicine or become scholars. The citizens of the Empire were proud of their learning and the arts, almost as proud as they were of their many natural, untouched forests.

Kai sat ramrod-straight on his horse, his eyes shining as he led them closer. Some townspeople seemed to know him, and they called out and waved their arms cheerily. It seemed to Delilah that this was his home – not the Imperial Palace in the city of Xen.

"Does your mother mind you living so far away? And shouldn't you be learning how to rule?" she asked.

"How dare you question him? He is not only older than you, he is a monarch," one of the guards snapped.

Delilah whipped around, reaching for a dagger on instinct, and the guard tensed –

"It's fine," Kai interrupted. "She's allowed to ask questions. That's why we're here. My mother doesn't approve, but she's also glad I'm spending time getting to know my people. She'll occasionally call me back to Xen to continue my training, though."

"Sounds like a lovely arrangement," she said, struggling to remain polite.

The town grew prettier and richer the further they got to the university, and soon they were riding through large, magnificent gates held open for them by scholars. They were made of different types of wood that had been carved to weave together in a mesmerising pattern. They dismounted in a courtyard full of chattering fountains and ponds, and Delilah felt her neck begin to ache as she craned her head to stare at everything.

"Why so much water?" Dante asked.

"It is to symbolise the tranquillity within these university walls. And it's meant to be a scaled-down version of the grand Xen Water Gardens."

"Are they grand?"

Kai smiled that sweet, pure smile of his. "Of course they are. Follow me."

He led them into one of the huge, beautiful red and green buildings, where servants immediately hurried forward and practically tore their luggage from them. Delilah debated fighting the men to get hers back, but it seemed to be required here.

Kai beckoned, and Delilah made to follow the others but a maid tugged on her arm.

Delilah rounded on her. "What?"

"Please, shush, mistress," the maid whispered immediately. "You cannot talk above a whisper in here, it is forbidden."

Yeah? Well, I do not feel like behaving like a law-abiding citizen today. She was still smarting from last night's rejection.

"The men are going to the washrooms, and you must go to the women's." The maid led the way down a fancy wood-panelled corridor.

"But I don't need the washroom," Delilah protested, feeling foolish.

"It is a Shao University custom for guests to wash and change into scholars' robes before entering the libraries. When doing so, you wash away all the dirt and impurities from outside – and you clear your mind, ready to accept new information."

"Oh."

Delilah dredged up some goodness inside her so she looked pleasant while thanking the maid. She entered a cubicle, delighted to find that the university had a water pipe system, and took a shower.