MALEVOLENT 24: Bloody Interrogation

The manor house cut a dark, impressive silhouette against the gleaming river. At this, the richest riverside district, the banks were lit with lanterns and light glimmered on the water, as well as the shingles of the roof. Wrapped in a servant's robe with her hair covered, Delilah walked demurely up to the side passage into the house and knocked.

A burly guard answered.

She bowed her head, holding her huge clay jug close to her chest. "Your serving girl, master."

"What serving girl? My lord has all the servants he needs."

"I come as a gift of both myself and this vintage wine, compliments of Lord Ern." It was better to implicate her betrothed's involvement in shady dealings, start his downfall early.

"A likely story. Poison, no doubt!"

She looked at the wine with horror. "P-Poison? Why?"

"A powerful merchant prince has powerful enemies, little girl." He shouted a fellow guard over and had him taste it. It was obvious he didn't like the man, and watched smugly. They all stared at the guard as minutes trickled by, but nothing happened.

"So?" the first guard said.

"I feel fine. It's actually quite delicious, has a fruity taste. Perfect for my lord."

"Lord Ern sends his respects and admiration for my lord," Delilah put in.

"Go away now. We can take the wine ourselves."

"But... begging your pardon... I am also part of the gift."

"You?" The guard laughed. "My lord's lowliest serving girls are far more pretty than you."

Jealousy, petty, ridiculous, inescapable jealousy spiked through her.

"But we wouldn't want to scorn Lord Ern. You know he's been at court for the past two decades?" his companion muttered. "Let my lord send the girl away if he doesn't like her."

"All right. We'll let her in but search her first."

And so Delilah had to stand there as she was pawed by rough, bruising hands. She gritted her teeth so hard she heard something crack and closed her eyes tightly. She tried not to flinch, even when they grazed sensitive sections of skin like her inner thighs, searching for concealed daggers that of course were not there.

The only way she got through it without moving or flinching or lashing out was by convincing herself to make sure to return and kill these two when her task was done. But despite everything, she thought of how universal this experience was for women, princesses and slaves alike. Women in this world had all had to subject themselves to unwanted touch and humiliation, all had to bite their tongues as men did despicable things. The rage built inside her the more she thought about it, hotter and hotter and hotter until she thought she'd combust there and then. Oh, she'd cut off their manhoods before she killed them. She wished she could do it to every man, make him feel some of the pain he had inflicted on what he considered to be the 'lesser' half of the human race.

Leering, they gave her the wine and waved her through. They'd disturbed her robes so much that she had to put the jug down and readjust her clothing before she could enter. She clutched the jug so hard her fingernails bent inwards.

"Hang on a second!" A guard with a better uniform arrived – the head. "Don't tell me you're letting her in without proof? Her house's seal, at least?"

Someone with sense. Not that she wanted it right now.

"We've had no letter from the lord, and you carry no documents."