33: The Undead

Delilah woke with a jolt at – well, only the ancestors knew what time. She scanned the floor... but Dante had disappeared, along with any trace of the nightflower medicine.

At first she decided she'd had a long, horrible dream, but her feet twinged just as she spotted the chaise longue: caked in blood. She grimaced, but set about checking her feet.

They were a mottled mess of green, black and blue bruises, but the cuts seemed to be healing and they hurt less. She breathed a sigh of relief.

By the time she'd showered, dressed and eaten breakfast, hoping the servants who'd arrived to light the fire hadn't noticed the blood stains, Kaya and Nell were hammering on the door.

They burst inside with knives in their hands.

"Oh." Nell relaxed. "He's gone."

"Did you kill him?" Kaya demanded. "Where have you put his body? In the wardrobe?"

"No. He walked out."

"You let him go without even questioning him?"

"I plan on tracking him down today."

"How are your feet?" Her voice softened.

"Better." She'd chosen the most cushioned shoes she could find to wear. "I'm sorry for dragging you along. I wish I knew what all that had been about, too."

"Careful," Nell said, "it almost sounds like you care."

"Caring? Me? Never." Delilah elbowed her as she made her way to the corridor.

"Thanks for spearing a corpse for me," Kaya added. "You saved my foot."

"You foot is eternally bound to me."

"It will serve you well, I'm sure, Your Highness. I shall use it to kick in many teeth and break many noses belonging to those who defy you."

"Good. You can start with Dante's."

Kaya shuddered. "My foot tells me it's not ready for that yet. Can't we start small? With soldiers instead of kings?"

Nell was rolling her eyes but suppressed a smile as they fell into step.

Delilah heaved an exaggerated sigh. "If we must. Tell your foot it's already a disappointment."

She'd chosen to wear a golden ring on a chain on purpose today. It was the one she'd stolen from Dante's office months and months ago – and he'd noticed, but never said anything. She was going to use her new leverage to find out as much as she could about him.

When they reached the gleaming corridor that led to Dante's private office, they were greeted by Hawk, who smiled snidely at them.

"Aw, look, the poor guard dog's been chained up," Kaya said. "He's not even allowed to have a walk."

The smile turned into a terrible frown as they drew closer.

Hawk shifted his weight to another foot and folded his arms in a way that made Delilah's heart sink. But three of them against him... They should be able to force their way inside.

"He says you," Hawk said, jabbing his finger at Delilah, "are allowed in. You two are not."

She blinked.

"But we come as a trio," Kaya protested, staring at the Captain of the Guard with huge, pleading blue eyes.

He didn't look moved. "Evidently not."

Delilah shrugged and flung the door open, not bothering to knock. She suspected she'd won some hard-earned barging privileges.

Dante sat calmly at his desk as if he had been waiting.