PICTOPHOBIA⚘✾

"Good, you're here."

"What's the emergency meeting all about?"

"Where's Aisha?"

"She texted—says she's on her way."

"Good." I grabbed my notepad and stood before the lad. I initiated my questions.

"Remi, what do you do when you wake up in the morning?"

"Uh... I pray, study the word of God..."

"No, like body care."

"Uh... I take my bath, brush my teeth..."

I interrupted again, "what's your favourite meal?"

"I've got none."

"Oh, right. So what soap do you use?"

"Papaya mix."

"Pa-pa-ya. Terrific."

"What lotion do you use?"

"Lotion."

"Lotion lotion?"

"Affirmative."

"That's a dumb name." I took more notes. "Well what sponge do you use in scrubbing your body?"

"Sponge."

"Sponge sponge? Very weird."

"No..." he slapped his face. "is it supposed to have a name tag or something?"

"Yes! So you don't know the name of the company that produced the sponge you use?"

"Am I supposed to?"

"Anyways, have you got any other stuff you apply to your skin like a skin care product or something?"

"No. My skin colour and flawlessness is completely natural. You of all people should know that," said he. "Temi, why are you asking these questions?"

I grinned. "Cause I want to be as light skinned as you are."

He covered his mouth in stupefaction then burst into laughter.

"Why would you want to have my skin colour. I hate it. Guys tease me a lot."

"Well, Tasha is light skinned and people compliment her pictures a lot."

"You're not Tasha."

"Well, most of the social media queens with slamming photos are light skinned."

"You're not them either. You are fearfully and wonderfully made. You are perfect just the way you are and you don't need to change a thing about you for likes."

"Do you have to always act so righteous?"

"This has nothing to do with righteousness... well, it kind of does but it's also common sense."

"Oh, so I don't have common sense?"

"Mayybbee... yeeesss."

I whacked him on the head with my notepad.

"Ow! For a lady, you sure do hit pretty hard!"

"Aww, thank you."

"So what are you going to do now?"

"I'll buy some skin care products to make me look as bright as the sun." I motioned my hands out in the air, in his face.

"I can't wait to see you looking like a burnt plantain."

I whacked him on the head again and he yanked the book from me and flung it to a corner of the room. Aisha arrived.

"What's up?"