STICKY GADGET⚘✾

I could not bewield the desire. Somehow there was something holding me back each time I tried to get off that world and attend to things in the real world. Procrastination became my middle name.

I found the activities in there so fun that it turned war each time I had to let go for a second. I try to, but then I wonder what would be going on in my absence.

Somehow, I easily turned unenthusiastic about most activities in the real world. I could easily look away from them hall and  look into my phone where comfort dwelled. I almost despised social gatherings and I got bored by the second each time I was away from my device.

Once, in church, Remi snatched my phone from me.

“Hey!" I almost ripped his face.

"Will you just keep your phone aside for a moment and listen to people or try to socialize?"

"I'm not like you, Remi. I'm an introvert."

"Well some introverts aren't introverts without their phones!"

I wondered what he meant by that.

The more I had a crucial task to attend to, the more I felt the objects in that world fiercely pulling me back, getting me more engrossed to it and disinclined to the outter world.

I was incessantly so immersed in the virtual world—the activities, the graphics, the people, and the apps  themselves were so absorbing that I couldn’t survive without looking into my gadget every now and then. Even when I tried to do something else, I got bored easily and ended up returning to my phone.

                     ***
 It was Friday evening. My Mom had told me to prepare beans and plantain for the whole family before she arrived home.

I was on my phone all day; chatting and watching videos. As soon as it was time for me to cook, I still couldn’t let go and so I used my phone in the kitchen while washing the soiled beans.

Afterwards, I placed the beans on fire and returned to my room to give my device all the attention; viewing statuses with joy. Glad for me, beans is known to take ages to cook well so I had all the time to myself.

I locked myself in and watched videos on TikTok, moving from one platform to the other.

It was the most entertaining thing ever. (●'◡'●)

Afterwards, I went on to chat with none other than sweet, sweet Oliver.

We talked about our lives, we talked about our thoughts towards each other and looked forward to meeting each other.

We did a video call for a really long time, where Oliver got to tell me a lot about himself and how much my company meant to him.

Later on, we dropped the call and resumed texting.

“I really enjoyed that call. Can we do this more frequently?”

“Yeah. Why not?”

“Damn, I wish we could meet. I just wanna see your face but outside of this prison walls of my phone’s screen.”

“Awww. I really wish that happens soon. I can't believe we actually attended the same school and saw each other every single day but didn’t know what we were missing out on by not talking to each other.”

“I was the admire-from-afar guy. I couldn’t dare approach you especially with Remi as your bodyguard. Dude doesn’t leave your side for a f**king second!”

“Lol, we’re twins.”

“Now, you owe me some explanations on why I had to delete all of our chats that day.”