2

Everyone had thought that Jack would become a wonderful salesmen with his upbeat sense of humor and persuasion but it turned out he had more of a secret agenda for his life. Architecture seemed like a drab career to his parents but he excelled at its puzzles and equations. During his last year he thought about transferring out and kick starting his career but that had gone to the back burner.

  He whistled to whatever song was on his iPhone until he got to his old beat up Volkswagen Jetta. Working weekend shifts at the mechanics shop kept him busy to pay off the old car. He climbed in and backed out of the parking lot. He would have to pick up Gavin from his parents house later so he would have to make some effort to clean out his car.

  After stopping at the local gas station to purchase some car wax, he hurried to the house he shared with four other guys, including Gavin. Jack grabbed a cardboard box and started to pile armloads of garbage, clothes and half eaten food into it. After vacuuming, waxing and polishing, Jack stood back and admired his handy work. Jack had a weird obsession with his car, even though it was more duct tape than Jetta. He disposed of all the garbage, then went inside the house with all his dirty clothes and threw them in the washing machine. After attempting to find something to eat, he gave up and sat heavily on the couch. He put in a DVD and dozed off halfway through the opening credits.

  After sleeping for two hours, Jack sat up quickly, unlocked his phone, then almost falling off the couch, stood up and hastily started looking for his keys. It was 5:45 and he still needed to pick up Gavin at 6:00. He jammed on his purple Chuck Taylor's, then locked the door and quickly drove out the driveway. Jack arrived at Gavin's house, and leaned on the horn a couple times. Gavin ran out and waved to an older woman standing beside two teenage boys. Gavin's two younger brothers were easy to get along with, as he had recruited him for babysitting duty when they were in middle school which turned into Xbox shouting matches.

  "So you know how to get to Sam's apartment?" Jack said with a sleep heavy voice. Gavin grinned and punched his shoulder.

 "Course, but maybe I should drive cause you like you just woke up." Grumbling Jack climbed out of the driver's seat and slid into the passenger's seat, while simultaneously putting on his sunglasses.

Jack shrugged, a dazed look on his face. "Bite me. I need a beer." Gavin smiled and shrugged and gunned the engine. Jack wondered how chipper Gavin could be when all of the guys in the house got the exact same amount of sleep. 

"I'm going to go in and get him. Knowing him he's probably sleeping too." Gavin hopped out of the car and returned a minute later with a more than usual bed head Sam. Sam got into his truck and followed Gavin and Jack.

 "Well, look alive, we're here." Gavin jumped out of the car with enough vigor for all three of them. They walked into the pizzeria to see Brooklyn and Avery were already seated with drinks.

 "Took you long enough!" Avery said her comment directed at Gavin. Gavin slid into the spot next to her and Sam next to Brooklyn. Sam groaned inwardly.

 'Great. Not next to Brooklyn.' Inconspicuously he slid a little farther to the edge of the booth before she could begin making awkward conversation. Avery elbowed Gavin and whispered something in his ear. Gavin turned to Sam.

"We're still on for tonight right?" Sam nodded and leaned his head on the table and sighed.

"I have to go to bed early, but you can still come over and watch a few DVD's. I have a test tomorrow and I want to be awake for at least half of it." He gave a small smile before checking his phone display.

"Oh come on! Is everybody going to spoil my one day off before crunch time?" Avery put on her fake pouty face. A teenage girl came with a tray of Cokes and a few beers and handed one to the boys.