29

Sam opened the car door and sat next to Brooklyn.

"Babe, what's wrong. Even you could see she was drunk. I'm sorry that had to happen."

"What do you mean 'even me'? I had a terrible day and then you had to invite me to one of these stupid dinner things that I never like going to!"

"I had no idea that you were having a terrible day! You never said anything!"

"Only because you were so happy."

"That isn't a reason to not tell me you had a rough day. You know that." He reached up and wiped the tears from her face. That brought on a fresh wave of emotions and Brooklyn sobbed into his shoulder.

"Can you just tell me what happened?"

"I was late getting Cam to school, I got riduculed by my old principle, we had to wait for three hours in the doctors office, I was late picking Cam up for school, I didn't get enough sleep, I even guilt tripped your brother into babysitting because I had to go to that stupid company dinner so he had to buy them supper..."

"Ok, ok. I should have given you more notice on the dinner thing, but why do you hate them so much?"

"Because I don't fit in with anyone you work with. I feel like an outcast. And everyone thinks you're the greatest and then I'm just the trophy wife."

"I'm sorry. I should've asked how you felt about it. I'm not the greatest, either. Do you want to just go home?" Brooklyn nodded. "Let me call Tyler and tell him to take care of things. Are you hungry?"

"Yes. I'm sorry Sam. Those pregnant hormones get the best of me most of the time." She smiled weakly and dried her tears.

"I understand." He smiled warmly and dialed Tyler's number. "McDonalds?" He said before Tyler picked up. Brooklyn squeezed his hand. He shut off his phone and drove to the nearest McDonalds.

"We can watch 'The Notebook' or something when we get home. Ok?"

"You'll fall asleep again." Brooklyn smirked. "That's why I didn't want to tell you. Because you'd take me home and watch girly movies with me when you could have gone to your work thing."

"Truth be told, I don't like them either. But how good would it look if the boss didn't show up to the dinners?" He just ordered a drink for himself at the fast food place. "And I promise that I will watch the whole thing with you."

"That's a pretty lofty promise. Are you sure that you can live up to it?" She laughed and smiled.

Luke had just put the triplets to play in their beds already and was playing a video game with Cam.

"You guys are home early." He remarked without looking up from the TV. Sam sat down beside his brother and loosened his tie.

"Yeah. They didn't really need me tonight. It's only 6:30. Could you take Cam to the library for a bit?"

"Sure. There's left over pizza in the fridge for you guys if you want." Luke smiled and helped Cam get into his coat. They left in Luke's car and promised to be back before Cam's bedtime.

"I really just want to take a bath and unwind. Can I take a rain check on the movie?" Brooklyn set her purse on the counter.

"Yes, that's fine." Sam kissed her lightly on the cheek and started to head into his office.

"I know you have work stuff. You don't have to come to bed early." Brooklyn called after him. She could hear him sigh deeply from the office. Brooklyn checked her email quickly on the home computer and saw an IM from Avery.

'Brook-

Could you and Sam come with your family on Nov. 15 to see Gavin off to his marines group? It mean a lot to me if you could come.

-Avery'

Brooklyn looked at her calendar and saw that it was next week. She sent a quick reply and penciled it in on the date.

"That's so soon." Brooklyn sighed and stared at the calendar.

"What is?" Sam came up behind her. "Is there a pencil sharpener in the desk?"

"Gavin's deployment." She handed him the small metal pencil sharpener.

"Oh." Sam didn't say anything else and retreated back to his office. Brooklyn shivered at the thought of her husband in the marines. She tried to brush the thought away but couldn't with the upcoming deployment date.